PDA

View Full Version : Icing sugar to substitute sugar?

keeks
30-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi guys, we bought loads of banana at the market last week, so now we are making banana bread.

Turns out my teenagers have used up all my sugar, so have only got icing sugar in the cupboard.

Can I use icing sugar instead of sugar in the recipe?

I hope somebody knows!

Thank you
xx

onceinabluemoon
30-08-2011, 12:05 PM
I don't think so. You can substitute granulated for caster at a pinch (but don't get as good results) but not icing sugar I'm pretty sure. xx

marleymoo
30-08-2011, 12:07 PM
aaw what the heck, go for it girl! might make the mixture a bit more claggy but must surely taste the same? i think the worst it could do is affect the texture. might be more moist sponge than bread haha. you could set this up as an scientific experiment. cooking is, afterall, chemistry isn't it? ask kids to write down what they predict will happen and see who's right. win win situation, still a learning curve isn't it? and i'm sure it will still be edible - if you're not too fussy. i know it would still get eaten here!

kindredspirits
30-08-2011, 12:17 PM
you'd need to use less - and it would have a distincting 'icing' taste as opposed to just sweet but it is possible.
i put icing sugar on my melon last week instead of sugar and it was horrible as it turned to icing, i didn't want melon cake!! :laughing:

boxtree7
30-08-2011, 12:20 PM
no way ... it doesn't sound or taste to good. good luck

keeks
30-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys, we have taken a vote and the children want to wait until tomorrow so we can go to the shops this afternoon and get sugar.

One mindee thought the bread would be colder if we used icing sugar! :laughing:

xx

marleymoo
30-08-2011, 12:58 PM
One mindee thought the bread would be colder if we used icing sugar! :laughing:

xx

ha, love it, how democratic of you!

FussyElmo
30-08-2011, 01:04 PM
i have used icing sugar in pastry but not in a bread mix. It worked well for the pastry not sure about in in a bread mix though :thumbsup: