PDA

View Full Version : deposit and first month fees together?

jadavi
30-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi, just working out what I'll be asking my first parent when i get (hopefully) registered soon (hopefull

cmS ask for a month's deposit dont they? Is this to be held for the entire duration of the contract like a rental agreement or does it constitute thefirst months fees?

My parent's fees will be £300 a month. Would she have to pay £600 in one go? (again like a rental agreement...)

Seems a socking amount to ask a struggling single mum on tax credit

advice appreciated...
jac

Mouse
30-08-2011, 11:32 AM
I charge the first week's/month's fee in advance as the deposit. If the family are going to pay weekly, I take a week in advance & that is the first week's fee. If they're paying monthly I charge the first month in advance. It needs to be paid before the child starts with me & is the first month's fee.

It's easy to say you must always take a deposit, you must always charge in advance etc etc, but for some families it really just isn't possible.

I am strict about payment in advance & think I must terrify parents into paying up as in all my 15yrs as a childminder I have only ever had to chase one parent for money...she only owed me £20, but I wouldn't let it go out of principal :D I have also never had a parent say they want the space & then pull out before the start date. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think you have to take each case on it's merit and be a bit flexible at times.

marleymoo
30-08-2011, 12:25 PM
it would be extremely hard,if not impossible, for any parent to pay such a fee up front unless they had someone who could help them. how long are they having to wait for their place to start? i think this is relevant