PDA

View Full Version : Rant over Holidays

Jo&BabyDillon
30-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone feel as though they are not entitled to a holiday?

I have this one family who are really nice to be honest but they hate me having a holiday. I have asked for 2 weeks in October which they have known about for months as i do my holidays about 6 months prior to me going, and they have now said they can only get 1 week off instead of my requested 2.

The thing is if i take this child for the 1 week all of the other parents are going to be mad at me because they have booked 2 weeks off for me to go, and they will be hurt that i didn't take there children, plus if i have one mindee i may as well earn the money and take them all.

What do i say? I don't want to loose this little girl i have had her a long time but feel i should be strong and say unlucky i am going on holiday.

Help

Jo x

PixiePetal
30-08-2011, 10:20 AM
I am sorry for them but if you have booked 2 weeks off, you can have 2 weeks off !- it's up to them to find alternative. You gave plenty of notice.

I have never had parents say this in 17 years of minding. They respect my family time and I don't think about what they have to do about it, they need to find their own solution :)

green puppy
30-08-2011, 10:22 AM
You have given them plenty of notice so there is no excuse for them not to have sorted it out. You are entitled to your holiday and all of the other families have sorted it out. I would be saying that your holiday is booked and you have given appropriate notice as per contract, probably more than enough notice. Perhaps you could offer to help find alternative care if you know any other minders but really it's tough toots!!

snufflepuff
30-08-2011, 10:25 AM
I don't ask for holiday, I just tell parents when i'm taking it! It's up to them to arrange the time off themselves or alternative care. You are self employed, don't let them tell you how to run your business!!!

Do you have the phone numbers of any childminder friends who might be able to have LO for that week? Don't organise it for them though, just give them the numbers for them to ring and sort it themselves.

kellib
30-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Why are you asking the parents? You should just be telling them that's when you are going! You've given them plenty of notice so there's nothing for them to complain about.

Mouse
30-08-2011, 10:39 AM
You need to change your way of looking at things. You are not ASKING for holidays, you are telling them (with plenty of notice) that you will be away for those 2 weeks and they will need to make alternative arrangements.
My families would never dream of telling me I couldn't have my hoilday, but then again, I wouldn't give them the option to :laughing:

You need to be firm or you will be seen as a walkover. Keep remembering that these families do not employ you. You are self employed and you offer a service. For holiday time, your service is not available.

If you can, pass them the name of other childminders in the area who could take the children for a week :thumbsup:

cupcake22
30-08-2011, 11:14 AM
I dont ask parents either. I tell them by giving them a holiday request slip with the dates on it. I keep a copy too so that they dont say they didnt know. The way I look at it is they dont ask me if they want time off so I dont ask them & its my business so I run it my way lol. Get tough & dont be made to fell guilty!!!!!

Cupcake22

brightstar
30-08-2011, 12:20 PM
I put my holiday dates at the bottom of every invoice, that way they can't say they haven't been warned. I've never had any arguments and wouldn't change my plans anyway.

marleymoo
30-08-2011, 12:32 PM
You need to change your way of looking at things. You are not ASKING for holidays, you are telling them (with plenty of notice) that you will be away for those 2 weeks and they will need to make alternative arrangements.
My families would never dream of telling me I couldn't have my hoilday, but then again, I wouldn't give them the option to :laughing:

You need to be firm or you will be seen as a walkover. Keep remembering that these families do not employ you. You are self employed and you offer a service. For holiday time, your service is not available.

If you can, pass them the name of other childminders in the area who could take the children for a week :thumbsup:

agree with mouse - again

Daisy1956
30-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I agree I don't ask for hols I tell the parents when I will be on holiday. I give over 6 months notice so it is up to them to sort it out. To your parents I would say I am on holiday and not available at all them two weeks. What would they say if they had to give up a weeks holiday?

Twinkles
30-08-2011, 02:24 PM
You are not ASKING for holidays, you are telling them ....

Yep , what she said ^^^:thumbsup:

wendywu
30-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Yep , what she said ^^^:thumbsup:

Ditto :thumbsup:

tulip0803
30-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Agree with everyone. You are not REQUESTING holidays you are TELLING them when your service will be shut and unavailable. It is up to them to find an alternative, you could ask a local childminder as a favour if they have space but it is a favour and not your duty to do this!

rickysmiths
30-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Remember these couple between them have 10 weeks holiday as a min and possibly more.

Its not your fault they can't get themselves organised and you shouldn't feel guilty taking it.

You do a physically and mentally demanding job and earn every week of holiday we take just the same as the parents do. You need your holiday in order to do a good job.

The Juggler
30-08-2011, 05:15 PM
if they can only book 1 week off work then they need to make other arrangements for the other week.

blue bear
30-08-2011, 05:17 PM
I once had a parent forget my holidays ( relatively new parent lots going on at home) it never entered my head to offer to work, I'd booked it well enough in advance and to be honest mum wouldn't have thought of asking me.

I would just say sorry no can do but maybe offer to try asking other childminders.

missymood
30-08-2011, 05:32 PM
I tell them when I'm off and they book their holidays then:thumbsup:

sarah707
30-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Jo... it's your business! You decide when you go away and you tell the parents that you are going.

I had a recent holiday at quite short notice - 4 weeks instead of my usual 3 or 4 months and I did a quick ring round to help mum out and found her a minder with vacancies - usually I wouldn't do that but as I said I knew I was leaving her in the mire and I like her.

Right now business head on... Jo and baby Dillon are taking 2 weeks holiday in October. Here's the number for finding out about local childminders with vacancies :D

gegele
30-08-2011, 06:34 PM
You TELL the parents you will be off from this to this date you don't ask them!!

would they stop a nursery from closing I don't think so SO what give them the right to ask you not to take your holidays????

you can try to ask some friend minder if they could cover your work while on holiday and give parent their number after it's their problem what they organise!!!!

i can't believe the cheek....

if one of my parent did think of mentioning this i wouldn't even have to say a word as i have a really expressive look :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They're not your employer they are service user NOT the same!!:D