PDA

View Full Version : Is this really bad?

buzzy bee
30-08-2011, 10:08 AM
I have a 10 year old today and he's pretty tired... All the little ones are having their nap so I've put a movie on for the 10 year old and gone to my room to catch up on paperwork. Is that terrible?!

PixiePetal
30-08-2011, 10:13 AM
I might do paperwork but not go off to my room to do it - would bring it into room with 10 yr old

Mouse
30-08-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't think there's any harm in letting him watch an age appropriate DVD, but I'd stay with him & do my paperwork in the same, or next room. I suppose it depends which room you've gone to. I wouldn't go up to my bedroom & leave him, but if he was happily watching a movie in the lounge, I'd sit in the kitchen to work.

marleymoo
30-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I might do paperwork but not go off to my room to do it - would bring it into room with 10 yr old

i agree with this

The Juggler
30-08-2011, 03:53 PM
me too! :)

lulubelle
30-08-2011, 04:01 PM
i'd stay in the same room too, or my playroom is off my lounge and door always open so can see children if that makes sense! i dont think the odd movie hurts, especially if they are really tired etc, they probably had a really busy weekend as it was bank holiday!

Bananabrain
30-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't go into another room [having said that I don't have another room:laughing: ]
Even leave the bathroom door open when I go to the loo. Even with big ones.

jaja
30-08-2011, 04:43 PM
i would stay in the same room but would let him watch a movie, why not, they need time to chill too xxx

singingcactus
30-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Terrible!! LOL :laughing: . Of course it's not terrible, he's 10! I assume you can hear him if he began to fiddle with your stuff, or got into difficulty. A 10 year old boy does not need someone breathing down his neck the whole time, he needs his space, his privacy. He is probably glad to get rid of you for a few minutes lol.

buzzy bee
30-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the responses!

Yep I kept the bedroom door open and could hear the movie and him!!

Like someone else said, I figure he needs his own space too - if he was at home he wouldn't spend the entire day with his mum and dad, he'd have time to himself in his bedroom etc.

kel1983
30-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Aslong as you could hear him and the film I would prob have done the same. He is 10. My nephew has just reached this age and he has become very independent.

JCrakers
30-08-2011, 07:27 PM
I put a DVD on today for the kids today after 2 trips out to the park by 3.30pm they were very tired.
I sat in the kitchen......to tell you the truth im getting rather tired of kids TV

I could see and hear them but just couldnt watch the DVD they had on (Ice age 3) Seen it about 10 times

miffy
30-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Yep I kept the bedroom door open and could hear the movie and him!!

I think that's fine - although I would also nip back and check from time to time - I don't think you have to be in the same room all the time.

Miffy xx

khlwomitchell
30-08-2011, 08:36 PM
I wouldn't go into another room [having said that I don't have another room:laughing: ]
Even leave the bathroom door open when I go to the loo. Even with big ones.

me to, hubby tells me to shut the door when i do it in the evening but i can see the tv when peeing so it is just a bonus!
I do paperwork on dinig room table as i have straight line to the sofa in living room. I think kids need quiet time. my kids either nap after lunch or play games or watch TV. its bad atall!!!!:)