PDA

View Full Version : daily risk assessment????

jayne.x
30-08-2011, 09:53 AM
hi,
i'm new to this site and childminding i'm a bit confused what a daily risk assessment is and what it should consist of. any help would be greatly appreciate.x

Twinkle-Toes
30-08-2011, 03:25 PM
I would love to see any replies to this cos I don't really know either!!

cherry
30-08-2011, 04:50 PM
This is the one I use, I just changed the columns to read the days of the week and I tick off what I've checked each day.

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/policies/Risk_Assessment.doc

jayne.x
30-08-2011, 06:39 PM
thanks alot this is very helpful.x

nikkiross1
30-08-2011, 08:11 PM
that link is coming up as a blank page on my comp????

moggy
30-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Not sure if you mean how to do the actual Risk Assessment or how to record the daily checks you actually make... sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick:

I was advised by Network Co-ordinator to do this (and Ofsted more than happy), NB: this is in addition to full written risk-assessments in my folder: By the front door on the wall, list with row headings:'home and garden, school run, Tesco, local playground... etc' (all outings I do) and column headings 'Mon, Tues, Wed 'etc. and I initial each day as I consider each one.

So, on Monday, as I think through my home and garden risk assessment I initial by 'home and garden' to show I have considered and followed it. As I go out for school run I think through that risk assessment (or refer to your folder if you need) an initial by 'school run', and so on. I can also note on there if any assessments need updating eg if I notice new hazard on school route I note it as I come in and later that day re-write risk-assessment in the folder.

I was advised against just 'ticking off' on a list- initials were seen as better. I fit 6 weeks on a sheet of A4 and write 'Week beginning date' on each weeks grid so I have a permanent record.

miffy
30-08-2011, 08:44 PM

On mine too but it is downloading the document

Miffy xx

khlwomitchell
30-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Not sure if you mean how to do the actual Risk Assessment or how to record the daily checks you actually make... sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick:

I was advised by Network Co-ordinator to do this (and Ofsted more than happy), NB: this is in addition to full written risk-assessments in my folder: By the front door on the wall, list with row headings:'home and garden, school run, Tesco, local playground... etc' (all outings I do) and column headings 'Mon, Tues, Wed 'etc. and I initial each day as I consider each one.

So, on Monday, as I think through my home and garden risk assessment I initial by 'home and garden' to show I have considered and followed it. As I go out for school run I think through that risk assessment (or refer to your folder if you need) an initial by 'school run', and so on. I can also note on there if any assessments need updating eg if I notice new hazard on school route I note it as I come in and later that day re-write risk-assessment in the folder.

I was advised against just 'ticking off' on a list- initials were seen as better. I fit 6 weeks on a sheet of A4 and write 'Week beginning date' on each weeks grid so I have a permanent record.

sounds like me, i have four a4 sheets one is a weekly check of car seats, accident books and policies. I have a daily check list for the garden, make sure no animal poo, fallen fruit, harmful plants etc. Then i have a 2 page one for every week broken to days with dvds age appropriate, broken toys, plants non toxic, water for all kids, doors all on latch etc.
its longwinded but i used to do this all at Subway and it was my natural process to know i had done stuff.
May try and make mini versions though, save the trees!

amyf84
01-09-2011, 05:09 PM
I was advised to have at least 4 weeks on A4 sheet and laminate it so it can be filled out and then wiped clean and used again. Saves paper and mesing about.

HTH, Amy x

khlwomitchell
01-09-2011, 07:40 PM
I was advised to have at least 4 weeks on A4 sheet and laminate it so it can be filled out and then wiped clean and used again. Saves paper and mesing about.

HTH, Amy x

why did i not think of that? doh, i don't want three years stored before my next ofsted?!
Fab idea, i'm doing it, thanks a mil :jump for joy:

Mamma4Ya
02-09-2011, 06:56 AM

Mine too but when I minimised the page it opened???

miffy
02-09-2011, 07:03 AM

HTH, Amy x

I don't make a note that I've checked everything daily - to me it's a complete waste of time. I understand it's different in playgroups, nurseries etc when the checks can be made by different people each day.

Miffy xx

Nicadooby
05-09-2011, 07:04 AM
I have been told not to do it on laminate as when the inspector comes how will they know you do it every day if you just wipe it away?

nikkiross1
07-09-2011, 04:54 PM
thats strange, becuase the ofsted lady that did my pre-reg visit told me i should do it that way??? should we do it on paper and keep it? or should we just do it on paper for the week and keep it for a week or so? x

rickysmiths
07-09-2011, 07:39 PM
I don't make a note that I've checked everything daily - to me it's a complete waste of time. I understand it's different in playgroups, nurseries etc when the checks can be made by different people each day.

Miffy xx

Thank goodness there is someone esle!!

I have a list of the things I check visually every day in each room. It is in my RA Folder and that is where it stays. It is a waste of time tick boxing every day and I have to much else to do with my time. The checks are done as I clear up when mindees have gone home and then a walk round in the morning.

I had my Ofsted Inspection last week and the Inspector said she had never seen such a clear and comprehesive RA folder before. She was more than happy that my daily checks were visual and not written, she could see for herself that the house was kept a clean and safe for the children in my care. She gave me an Outstanding. This is what I will carry on doing.

leopardlady
09-09-2011, 02:51 AM
Having just started my training and reading up on everything I can I have been extremely worried how I am going to have time to actually look after any children in my care!!! Endless lists and checks etc etc.

The last post has at least made me breathe a sigh of relief that some common sense comes into it. Surely it is natural to make sure your house is safe if children visit regularly? My small grandchildren visit nearly daily, so I make sure it is as safe as possible anyway.

However my 3 children survived to adulthood without all this paperwork I do not know lol.