PDA

View Full Version : Help with settling in ideas?

fieryleo1984
30-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi Everyone, I am a new CM and have my first mindee. Hes 18months old and has been twice for settling in but I cant seem to calm him..unless he has a nap! I have tried distracting him with toys but he continues to cry. He has one more settling in session this week before starting next week three days a week from 8-4.

He's never been apart from his mummy so understandbly it is stressful for him but Im worried hes not going to calm down :-(.

Any ideas or reassurance? I have my own daughter 22 months whose being very good, not jealous at all of my having to cuddle the mindee etc.

x

marleymoo
30-08-2011, 02:10 PM
i hate reading and not replying so i will give my ****** worth.
if he won't settle with a cuddle, or his comforters, or soft music and if you can bear to let him cry in the same room so he can see you and your dd get along with your day then let him cry, but you will only bear this for so long before you start to get stressed. personally, i can't do it. would you prefer longer to settle him in? some LOs take months to settle and some never do sadly. i tried and tried for months with one little boy and he was so bad, even the kids hated him coming. they must have mentioned it to their parents too because they asked about the screamer. my co-worker and i had to take it in turns to put up with him. i just had to let him go as he was making everyone's life a misery

The Juggler
30-08-2011, 03:52 PM
only 2 sessions is not much hon. It will take time. I wouldn't offer more settling in sessions, rather just go with it and see how it goes. some children can have all the settling in sessions in the world and still will not settle until they start properly - and some not at all.

Just go with the flow and see how it goes. Lots of walks. I've had children who hate the house but settle at groups and others who settle in the house ages before they are settled at playgroups. Try lots of different environments see where they are happiest. Lots of cuddles and verbal reassurances and distraction. Lots of singing/music time.

Hope it gets better :)

marleymoo
31-08-2011, 07:04 PM
sorry, i didn't mean settling in sessions i meant giving yourself a longer settling into the contract period, so that if he's still doing this 2 months down the line, you can still terminate without notice.