PDA

View Full Version : How to phrase no reduction in fees?!

smurfette
28-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Hi i posted a couple of weeks ago about one of my mums - her hours have been reduced very slightly because my kids are moving to the same school as her little one and some mornings instead of dropping her baby off to me at 8 she will meet me at the school at twenty past. Makes no difference to me I am happy either way (in fact my dh may be changing jobs and he has offered to drop ours to school as he will be starting later so I wil have to probably go to the school to get her when i wouldn't otherwise) but I guess it will save her a few minutes in the morning
Anyway she has been paying full time and the rate I worked out is an hourly rate times forty even though every second week she does 44 hours - her granny collects her early sometimes so I feel it balances out and am glad to fill a full time space.'anyway now she has worked out the new hours painstakingly down to the last ten minutes and it is now 40 hours average a week - she commented she was trying to save hours when showing me!

I know things are tight for her and she is obviously hoping to save a few quid but with the change in dh job although it's a promotion of sorts it's less money and we have accounted for all my income. She is my favourite mum and the little one is great and she is considerate to me but I feel I did those 4 hours extra a fortnight for nothing as a discount and now don't really want to reduce the money she is paying
So my question is should I? At what point do you feel comfortable enough with a parent to say no or say hard things and not worry about losing them? Or am i being unfair?? Dh says no reduction and as he is doing our budget I can't really do a reduction without letting him know

She is back tomorrow after a month off and am panicking a bit! Thanks!!

wendywu
28-08-2011, 11:21 PM
If you now dont have to go to the school you can get mum to drop baby to you at 8, then she can go onto school.

Or you can say you only charge per full hour.

Or you can charge from 8 as you are still leaving the house to go and collect baby from school.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Bob
29-08-2011, 06:41 AM
You could introduce a charge for petrol for the trips to school but you should also look at the amount of money she pays each month and decide if it is really important enough to demand the extra. Goodwill in business is very important and difficult to put a price on.

christine e
29-08-2011, 07:11 AM
If you now dont have to go to the school you can get mum to drop baby to you at 8, then she can go onto school.

Or you can charge from 8 as you are still leaving the house to go and collect baby from school.

Would do exactly as Wendywu suggests

Cx

snufflepuff
29-08-2011, 07:29 AM
I'd probably say that I only charge by the full hour, so fees stay the same.

kindredspirits
29-08-2011, 08:00 AM
I would definately tell her that you only charge by the full hour so its up to her if she wants to drop her baby off to you before you do the school run or not.
if she does kick up a stink i would remind her gently of fact that just because she is saving 20 mins in the morning does not mean that you can fill her baby's space for 20 mins so she is still taking up a full time space.

The Juggler
29-08-2011, 08:15 AM
depends what you have said to her so far and what YOU are happy with.... but I agree with Wendy.

Tell her that this will work for you on the days you drop to school BUT if you are not going to school then she will have to come and meet you at home or pay you from 8 and you will walk there.

Personally I'd agree with the 40 hour average as that is a full-time enough week for me, but I would keep a close eye on it and charge for any extras over and above and make sure you tell her that:)

blue bear
29-08-2011, 05:12 PM
If she is wanting to pay you less because you have agreed to meet up at school, what is she going to pay you when school is not open?
Sounds too complicated to me, you have been more than fair giving her 8 free hours a month. I think you need to sit down with mum and explain as you are happy to carry on having child at 8 and giving her 8 hours a month free of charge you feel fees should stay the sane regardless of school meet or not as things will balance out through the year with school holidays etc.

To be honest I would not have done the free hours in the first place, she should be grateful to you being so flexible.

marleymoo
29-08-2011, 07:07 PM

i agree. see? we bend over backwards for these parents and do they appreciate it? no. and that's how i got to be so cynical. she's been having all these free hours off you and now wants to actually reduce what she pays you too? incredible, it really is. no way i'd leave house to pick up her baby from school either when you don't have to go otherwise. totally out of the question.

funemnx
29-08-2011, 07:58 PM
I would thinking of going along with the reduction if I had to, to save stress but also planning on putting my hourly rate up slightly in a couple of months too.... :thumbsup:

smurfette
30-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks all for your replies it hasnt been mentioned so I think I might wait until friday (pay day) and see if she mentions it but be prepared! Now transpires she has changed her long day from Tuesday to Monday at work so little one doesn't have too long a day (was here until 645) and granny collects her anyway on Monday at 430. First I heard of it! Its only an hour once a fortnight though so doesnt count for much. She is always gone by 2 on a Friday does that make a difference? Would have said she is full time for full time pay as she does 40+ hours a week but I suppose technically I could fill friday afternoon. Aarrggghh!! Hate when things change when they are swimming along nicely!!

marleymoo
31-08-2011, 07:09 PM
how do you fill a place after 2pm on a Friday? i only work till half 4!