PDA

View Full Version : Sorry can't pay deposit ?

jadavi
28-08-2011, 10:17 PM
What do you do if a mum who is clearly struggling financially tells you she hasn't got a months deposit up front as she is reliant on tax credit. Will tax credit pay 70 per cent of a deposit?

marnieb
29-08-2011, 07:06 AM
it's your decision - do you think she'll turn out to be a 'good' client, one that pays on time every week due to the help from TC's???? I might be wrong, but I dont think tc will give her any help towards a deposit.

muffins
29-08-2011, 07:09 AM
I would ask for payment in advance, even its it only a week at a time!

sweets
29-08-2011, 07:10 AM
I would ask for payment in advance, even its it only a week at a time!

thats what i'd do too :thumbsup:

The Juggler
29-08-2011, 08:17 AM
it depends when she is starting hon and if you think she is really struggling. I'd probably ask her for a weeks money at least and then offset this against 1st weeks payment when she starts.:)

Eddisonsmum
29-08-2011, 08:29 AM
I have a mum who didn't have a deposit but pays me a week in advance every week. We have a deal in the summer holidays that she pays me weekly her 70% tc money then on the last Friday of the month she pays me the balance. The work I get from her is a huge chunk of my income. Yes it's based on a lot of trust but it works for us x

lulubelle
29-08-2011, 09:28 AM
i have a mum who couldnt afford deposit but signed contract a couple of months ago for sep start and she has been paying me a little at a time to make up the deposit!

jane5
29-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I have a single mum who started work, she told TC that I needed 1 weeks fees in advance and they gave it her as a back to work grant. They paid it straight into my bank, not through her.

She now pays me £10 a week extra in her fees until the 4 week deposit is paid.
I also charge no fee for my holidays,and when I was on holiday she gave me my normal weekly fees to put towards the deposit.

I will not work without the deposit under any circumstances but have allowed her to pay in instalments because there was no way she would have found it in advance.

jane5
29-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Sorry I just reread your question and TC told her they would not pay 70% of the deposit but gave her the back to work grant instead but only for 1 weeks fees not a 4 week deposit.

kindredspirits
29-08-2011, 11:50 AM
i no longer take a full deposit - i take the first weeks fees in advance upon signing contracts - all my contracts come with a fortnights settling in period anyway where i'd have to return the deposit if the parent decided to pull out so it seems a pointless excersize.
BUT I do insist on all my fee's being paid in advance at least weekly so i'm not left having worked and not paid. :thumbsup:

mummyMia
29-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I normally take a 4 week deposit but I let one of my mums pay me a two week deposit instead because it was a lot of money for her. I regretted it slightly afterwards because it is unfair on the other parents who have paid the full 4 weeks but I felt bad asking her for so much:)

jadavi
29-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice.

marleymoo
29-08-2011, 06:26 PM
i never take deposits because if a parent ever decided they didn't want to start afterall then i would just take the next one from my waiting list. thankfully it's never happened....yet, but there's a first time for everything isn't there?