PDA

View Full Version : pre-inspection visit....what have I forgotten????

Kirsteen
28-08-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm starting to really panic now as I only have a week til pre-reg inspection. House is getting a top down scrubba dub dub this week :-) Safety locks etc all fitted. High furniture secured to wall. Stairgates going up this week. Got all my baby changing stuff. Got first aid kit. Inspector happy with my policies. PVG accepted. Got play plans. Got consents etc ready. Working on parent pack just now. House and garden risk assessed. Got folders for filing all my stuff. Got cash book and register.

What have I forgotten???????

And honestly truly really....how jobs-worth are the inspectors about how clean and tidy your home is when they come (given I already have 3 munchkins in the house who can generate a full on toy tornedo in a matter of minutes!):rolleyes:

Thank you! :-)

Zumba-mum
29-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Sounds like your already :thumbsup: Good luck

sarah707
29-08-2011, 07:55 AM
It's not so much about tidiness as about safety so focus on that side of things - which is sounds like you already have!

Have a good read through your standards booklet to make sure you know exactly what is expected of you.

Good luck! :D

danasdaycare
29-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Sarah is right, as long as you don't have toys everywhere as a trip hazard you will be grand!

If there is any thing you are awaiting on registration before putting in, then let inspector know. I.e socket covers and so on.

One thing I never knew they would want a copy of is gas safe annual safety certificate (but if you don't have gas, no worries, SELECT records for any electric heating system).

You sound way more prepared than I was, let us know how you get on
;)

Dana

khlwomitchell
29-08-2011, 09:51 PM
first aid book, visitors book.
if pre reg just knowing what you need is enough. very prepared!
Good luck

Kirsteen
01-09-2011, 06:11 AM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thank you everyone! Feeling a bit more confident now :)

Have had a last minute trauma with my stairgates. Was promised some from a friend and when i finally got them they weren't wide enough so now have a last minute hunt on to find the cheapest possible extra wide stairgates i can....sigh!

Also...public liability insurance.....I take it I don't actually need to have this yet, since I'm not registered???? Can I just say that I intend to take it out via SCMA and it will be their standard insurance policy that they offer? Is that sufficient??? Or do I need a quotation to show him??

Also...all my high cabinets and bookshelves are on wall brakets/straps, but i also have some bookshelves which are waist height on me which i haven't secured. Do these need doing too????? All my kids initially are school age and it's after school care i am mostly offering. Only exception initially is a crawling baby, who is also my niece. Just occurred to me that as she starts pulling herself up on furniture, would she have the strength to topple one??? Not convinced she would really, and I know my sister is of the frame of mind that she doesn't want everything child-proofed for the wee one - she wants her to learn 'no!'. From a SCSWIS point of view my niece is technically not a mindee, so my mindees are all age 5+ and safe around wee short bookcases. Thoughts???? Do I secure them or not? Or wait til inspection and see what the chap says??? (p.s. contents of shelves are not books but art and craft supplies in our art room....baby not likely to be left crawling about in there anyway and if she is in there i will be with her)

khlwomitchell
01-09-2011, 01:11 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thank you everyone! Feeling a bit more confident now :)

Have had a last minute trauma with my stairgates. Was promised some from a friend and when i finally got them they weren't wide enough so now have a last minute hunt on to find the cheapest possible extra wide stairgates i can....sigh!

Also...public liability insurance.....I take it I don't actually need to have this yet, since I'm not registered???? Can I just say that I intend to take it out via SCMA and it will be their standard insurance policy that they offer? Is that sufficient??? Or do I need a quotation to show him??

Also...all my high cabinets and bookshelves are on wall brakets/straps, but i also have some bookshelves which are waist height on me which i haven't secured. Do these need doing too????? All my kids initially are school age and it's after school care i am mostly offering. Only exception initially is a crawling baby, who is also my niece. Just occurred to me that as she starts pulling herself up on furniture, would she have the strength to topple one??? Not convinced she would really, and I know my sister is of the frame of mind that she doesn't want everything child-proofed for the wee one - she wants her to learn 'no!'. From a SCSWIS point of view my niece is technically not a mindee, so my mindees are all age 5+ and safe around wee short bookcases. Thoughts???? Do I secure them or not? Or wait til inspection and see what the chap says??? (p.s. contents of shelves are not books but art and craft supplies in our art room....baby not likely to be left crawling about in there anyway and if she is in there i will be with her)

if your inspection is like most you will only be required to know what mey need doing. If you say you will attatch the bookshelves to the wall if you have a young mindee that should suffice. Will be start charging for your niece as you will need to treat all her paperwork as a mindee when registered.
If you do a risk assesment about kids of all ages in your house you need not action them straight away.
Don't worry about a stair gate.
Insurance i did on online on the day my first parent signed the contract but before i minded. You can print off the documents with my company.
As long as you are aware of what needs doing. I walked around the house saying, fire guard i need to attatch, cupboard locks need doing, this door will have a kid proof latch etc.
But do be aware of the safeguarding and welfare infomation and duties, you will be quizzed on it. xxgood luck xx

Demonjill
03-09-2011, 08:40 PM
hi,

last time i registered 2009 i had to have insurance in place BEFORE my certificate was sent out.
Not sure if it will be the same this time

I also didnt have to have gates etc in place as i had no idea what kids i would get so wouldnt need them for older after schoolies. I just had to say what i could need for potential mindees etc

good luck hun :-))

Kirsteen
06-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks again! :-)

had my inspection today and got the :thumbsup:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

If the paperwork gets whizzed through quick I might be able to start next week, failing that week after.

YAY!!!!! :laughing:

ashchiz
12-09-2011, 12:28 PM
I have my Reg visit on Thurs and im feeling very nervous, any tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Ashley:)

Kirsteen
13-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi Ashley,

I guess everyone's experience is different as ultimately it depends on your inspector. My pre-reg inspection was incredibly laid back and informal. He asked me a few questions...mostly personal stuff about my own family, then he opened up my policies and said that I hadn't missed anything so we didn't need to talk about that. He had a nosey at my house and garden, scribbled a few notes, and then asked me what i intended to do to cover the parent participation angle, and exactly how i planned on obtaining information, using it, and feeding back to parents. Then he asked about insurance, and we were done. Whole lot took about an hour i think.

Hope it goes :thumbsup:

Demonjill
27-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Just to update

This time my insurance does NOT need to be in place before i get my certificate - phew :clapping: