PDA

View Full Version : NCMA v MM

BuggsieMoo
28-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi All
I am currently a member of both NCMA and MM but get my insurance through MM as at the time this was more cost effective for me then NCMA.

However it is now time for renewal (as well as some contract reviews due to children moving up into next level and school etc) and I wondered who people thought were best - NCMA or MM. I Have never really had to have any dealings with either and although I am a member of NCMA I can't say I have ever used the member benefits.

Thanks all

Lisa x

marleymoo
29-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi All
I am currently a member of both NCMA and MM but get my insurance through MM as at the time this was more cost effective for me then NCMA.

However it is now time for renewal (as well as some contract reviews due to children moving up into next level and school etc) and I wondered who people thought were best - NCMA or MM. I Have never really had to have any dealings with either and although I am a member of NCMA I can't say I have ever used the member benefits.

Thanks all

Lisa x

what member benefits? i've been a member from day one of my reg and i ask myself WHY every single year

littlecheeks
29-08-2011, 07:05 PM
i am just about to renew my insurance as well, so will be interesting to see what everyone thinks! i find it abit annoying you cant just take out the insurance with the ncma and have to have the membership aswell!
so far i have never used the member benefits either!
i have no idea how much mm charge?

xx

BuggsieMoo
29-08-2011, 07:24 PM
i am just about to renew my insurance as well, so will be interesting to see what everyone thinks! i find it abit annoying you cant just take out the insurance with the ncma and have to have the membership aswell!
so far i have never used the member benefits either!
i have no idea how much mm charge?

xx

Insurance and membership to MM is £44 for the year x

Maria Pia
29-08-2011, 08:51 PM
I am very interested in what people thinks too. I am about to renew my NCMA membership but although at the beginning I was receiving regular info and training, for the last 9 months I have not had hardly any communications and surely no benefits. What does anyone think?

Cheers!

Maria :)

christine e
29-08-2011, 11:21 PM
You have to remember that NCMA is a registered charity and therefore non profit making, MM is a business. NCMA is constantly working with both national and local government on our behalf, most recently they have been able to inform us that we do not need to register as a taxi business. NCMA hold regional forums 3 times a year which as a member you can attend and give your views, the next ones take place Sept/Oct and details of all the forum meetings (there are 10 regions) can be found on the NCMA website by loggin in to My NCMA.

Christine

miffy
30-08-2011, 06:40 AM
I am very interested in what people thinks too. I am about to renew my NCMA membership but although at the beginning I was receiving regular info and training, for the last 9 months I have not had hardly any communications and surely no benefits. What does anyone think?

Cheers!

You should have had your "Who Minds?" magazine every two months.

Other benefits are not always so easy to measure but NCMA do work on our behalf locally and nationally - childminders would have had to pay a much higher Ofsted fee without NCMA's intervention and NCMA agreed with the tax office all the percentages we can offset for wear and tear, gas, electricity, water and council tax charges etc etc.

MM are purely an insurance company.

Miffy xx

BuggsieMoo
30-08-2011, 07:41 AM
You should have had your "Who Minds?" magazine every two months.

Other benefits are not always so easy to measure but NCMA do work on our behalf locally and nationally - childminders would have had to pay a much higher Ofsted fee without NCMA's intervention and NCMA agreed with the tax office all the percentages we can offset for wear and tear, gas, electricity, water and council tax charges etc etc.

MM are purely an insurance company.

Miffy xx

Hi Miffy
I agree with what you are saying but MM also give you free membership to their childcare section which includes 50% off for days out etc, not just insurance. I will probably stay with NCMA for membership and MM for insurance.

Thanks for all the responses - and in no way do I think NCMA are 'bad'.

Thanks

Lisa x

Maria Pia
30-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi Christine and Miffy, you raised some very good points about the NCMA lobbying on our behalf, I may renew the membership for another year. I know their budget has been cut and they are reorganising, so maybe that's why I haven't heard from them as much as I was used to!

Cheers!

marleymoo
30-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Hi Christine and Miffy, you raised some very good points about the NCMA lobbying on our behalf, I may renew the membership for another year. I know their budget has been cut and they are reorganising, so maybe that's why I haven't heard from them as much as I was used to!

Cheers!

this is the only thing i can think of too

christine e
30-08-2011, 03:34 PM

Cheers!

You have to remember that local NCMA staff are funded by your local authority - some local authorities don't use ncma but others employ staff via ncma but are actually paid for via a grant from the LA. My LA employ NCMA staff but things have changed around here with the cutbacks, support childminder scheme, network meetings and we see much less of the staff but they are due to LA cutbacks not NCMA cutbacks.

Cx

marleymoo
30-08-2011, 04:17 PM
You have to remember that local NCMA staff are funded by your local authority - some local authorities don't use ncma but others employ staff via ncma but are actually paid for via a grant from the LA. My LA employ NCMA staff but things have changed around here with the cutbacks, support childminder scheme, network meetings and we see much less of the staff but they are due to LA cutbacks not NCMA cutbacks.

Cx

this is true but i think ppl feel that as NCMA are not being used as much by their LA's then they have become "faceless" literally and i think ppl are really feeling a sense of loss. i would never knock the NCMA, i just think ppl are wondering what they're getting for the money in these times of belt-buckling