PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?!

Cariad
27-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Hi all, I'm new on here. I've just joined the forum and this is my first post.
I am interested in starting childminding but have sooo many questions and I don't really know where to start and how to go about it. What qualifications do I need? How long does the process take? If i devide to go ahead, when can i expect to be anle to start childminding? Is it easy to make a living out of childminding?
I'm actually a qualified teacher but I'm not working at the moment and want to take this opportunity for a career change. What sort of course would I need to go on? I have a 4 year old just about to start school full time and a 1 and a half year old.
I'm sorry this all seems a bit jumbled but I hope someone can help or at least point me in the right direction! Thanks in advance

The Juggler
28-08-2011, 11:21 AM
hi hon where do It can depend on the area you live in but I'd say expect it to take 6 months or a bit longer from your briefing session to full registration.

I'd book yourself on a briefing session but at the same time speak to your local early years team to see what vacancy levels are like at present for local childminders. If there are a lot of minders with vacancies then you might find it hard to find work. I would do this before going ahead with your ICP course.

Your briefing session willl either be run by the local children's centre or by a member of your early years team. This is free but often now you have to pay for your ICP course.

Good luck. let us know how you get on.

stace85
28-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi everyone,

Im having promble trying to find a Pre-registration session or Briefing session in mt area.
Is there a website you have to go to. If so please could someone send me the address.

Thanks everyone:o

The Juggler
28-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Hi everyone,

Im having promble trying to find a Pre-registration session or Briefing session in mt area.
Is there a website you have to go to. If so please could someone send me the address.

Thanks everyone:o

have you spoken to your early years team hon? if there isn't one any more, I would contact your nearest children's centre and ask them about it. May be that if they've removed these services you would just go straight to the ICP? Everything is changing so fast in different areas with the cut backs:panic: However, before getting on (and paying for) the ICP make sure you come on here in the pre-reg section or speak to the local cc manager and ask all the questions that you want.

If there is no central support for minders (which I know is starting to happen in some areas) I would go on netmums in your area, and the government list. see how many minders are advertising vacancies and see how many minders there are in your area. Your local authority is obliged to carry out a childcare sufficiency survey to see if there is enough childcare on offer for parents, this should give you an idea of how over/under provided childcare is. I would use this to make a decision whether to go ahead or not. :)

Cariad
31-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Thank you for replying, I'm in Wales so I think things may be a little different. I don't seem to be able to find a children's centre around so I guess I'll have to keep searching! I have just fired off a few emails this morning, so hopefully, something will come of them

sarah707
31-08-2011, 01:44 PM
I have popped your thread in the Welsh area of the forum where more of our Welsh members are likely to see it.

Hth :D

tulip0803
31-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Hi all, I'm new on here. I've just joined the forum and this is my first post.
I am interested in starting childminding but have sooo many questions and I don't really know where to start and how to go about it You need to contact the Family Information Service for your local council. They will put you on a breifing session with CSSIW. They will tell you about childminding, give you forms and tell you how you go about applying and meeting the National Minimum Standards for Registered Childcare in Wales (NMS)..
What qualifications do I need?You will need to do an Introduction to Childminding Course (ICP) before submitting your application.
How long does the process take? The CSSIW aim to have people registered in 6 months of submitting the application form, not including completeing breifing session and course - however 3 years ago it took me 11 months and I was already a childminder in England. Others have been 4 months
If i devide to go ahead, when can i expect to be anle to start childminding?Would depend on demand in your area and how long the registration process took
Is it easy to make a living out of childminding? Depends on demand but I have returned to it:D
I'm actually a qualified teacher but I'm not working at the moment and want to take this opportunity for a career change. What sort of course would I need to go on?Everyone has to do the ICP course to register in Wales
I have a 4 year old just about to start school full time and a 1 and a half year old. Maximum numbers you could be registered for is 6 children under 8 with no more than 3 under 5 and no more than 2 of those under 18 months, but this includes your own children. At present both your children are under 5 so would leave you one space for another child under 5 (at present there is no special rising 5s clause in Wales they are either over or under 5 years whether in school fulltime or not.
I'm sorry this all seems a bit jumbled but I hope someone can help or at least point me in the right direction! Thanks in advance

Pob luc:thumbsup:

Cariad
31-08-2011, 08:58 PM
I have popped your thread in the Welsh area of the forum where more of our Welsh members are likely to see it.

Hth :D

Thank you!

Cariad
31-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Wow Tulip thank you for your comprehensive advice- I think you may just have become my new best friend lol!
I have actually been in touch with my local FIS and now have a contact and I'll speak to them tomorrow. I would also like to point out that I can actually spell- I obviously didn't proof read before I posted!
Thanks again

Polly2
05-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Hiya

There is also lots of info on the NCMA website - take a look at this leaflet - at the back are some numbers you can ring too.

http://www.*************/PDF/5797%20Become%20a%20childminder%20RC02%20ENGLISH.p df

debbie1
12-09-2011, 08:12 PM
hi i am going on the briefing session tomorrow in caernavon and then icp course starts oct 8th for 3 weeks i know they are doing another one in oct and then icp course nov i think you could contact a lady called dorothy dale through ncma to register your interest, it may be too late for tomorrow sorry i have only just seen your thread debbie:(

Cariad
12-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks. I'm booked onto the Flintshire:panic: one in October although I'm having second thoughts about the whole thing at the moment

manjay
15-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks. I'm booked onto the Flintshire:panic: one in October although I'm having second thoughts about the whole thing at the moment

I'm in Fintshire too Cariad (I feel like I know you really well calling you that!! Lol!!). I can personally vouch for the ICP trainer in Flintshire. She is fab:clapping: . Keep us updated how you get on. I am also really interested in whereabouts you are in the county to see if you are close by. Send me a PM if you don't mind me knowing:thumbsup:

Cariad
15-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Debbie- how did the briefing session go?
Manjay- it's good to know there's someone close by I'm not actually on Flintshire, I'm in Conwy but I know the area better so decided on the Flintshire course.

debbie1
16-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi Cariad, the briefing session was very good, i wanted to go on the ICP course oct 8th but was told it is fully booked so they have put me on november 5th in Buckley:( i was a bit annoyed as where i live is Rhyl denbighshire i had to pay £214.00 for course when everyone from Flintshire or Conwy pays £50.00 so money i had saved for radiator covers and double buggy has now been spent:mad:, really looking forward to the course though, hopefully i will meet someone that is going, anyway Cariad if you want we could meet up have a coffee your more than welcome to pop in and see me as i said im in Rhyl just pm me Debbie:)

manjay
17-09-2011, 08:40 AM
It does seem realy unfair when each LA charge different amounts for the same course. Unfortunately that happens a lot across Wales:(

I am due to sit in on an ICP course sometime soon (and that will be in Buckley) so I may see you there.

amanda x

debbie1
17-09-2011, 10:45 AM
That would be lovely, i think its daunting on your own or is that just me lol... let me know if you know the date mine is 5th for 2 days:)

Cariad
22-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Debbie- that does seem really unfair that you have to pay so much more. It would be good to meet up ad I'm having lots of doubts at the moment about whether this is really for me. Saying that, I did start talking to a local childminder at a parent and toddler group, she was really positive and has even invited me round to see how she works. I'll pm you!

fatima
24-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Just wanted to say hello i live just outside caernarfon I think it's not fair how some people pay different prices or not at all. I was very lucky when i did mine 2 years ago my local council paid for mine as well as my first years insurance and ncma start up pack, they say that there is more of a demand for childminders nowadays, so why can't these councils help everyone. Good luck on your course, although I only started taking children this september I love it and have 5 already have 5 children on my books

debbie1
24-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Hi all, yes it does seem unfair but if i want to do childminding i will have to pa, Cariad i have messaged you dont have any doubts it will be worth it debbiex