PDA

View Full Version : Accident- should I replace car seats!

muffins
27-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Whilst strapping my DS into the car today the car parked behind me (we were parked in a line by pavement) pulled out & straight into my open car door!:censored:

I would have understood if I'd just opened the door & he hadn't seen it, but he hadn't even moved/started his the car when I opened it!:angry:

Now the door won't shut cos its all bent down the side & at the hinges, I had to drag my DH out of bed to come get kids so I could drive home with the door tied as far shut as it would go! The insurance can't do anything to get it fixed till Tuesday cos of the bank holiday, so I'll be without car for sometime! Glad its the holidays & no sch pick ups till 14th (all 4 schoolies are starting in yr R so parents are doig the part time bit), but I'll be stuck in with mindees cos no where to walk to from my home :panic: :panic: :panic:

Anyway getting off of the rant & back to the question:blush:

Should I get the kids seats replaced as it was only the open door that was hit & not the actual body of the car?

There was 6 seats in there at the time, 2 are new within the last month & another one was new a couple of months ago (not that that matters). All in all 6 seats worth about £650!:eek:

snufflepuff
27-08-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure if they need to be replaced or not- would depend on the force involved in the accident perhaps? Might be worth asking your insurance company?

But I do know that when I had an accident (well, it was my OH driving my car and the car seats were in the car at the time) the inurance company were willing to pay for replacements- they just asked me to send them the instruction booklets for each car seat. (Didn't have to do this in the end, I was a nanny at the time and the parent insisted I still use the old seats!!! :eek: )

Hope you're okay, must have been a bit of a shock for you!

muffins
27-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi, I'm fine thanks was just abit shaken up at the time! & v annoyed I had to tell the kids we couldn't go on the special day out we had planned for today that we were at the shop buying the picnic for!:(

The insurance said to speak to the company that will be fixing it about whether they need replacing but thought I'd get some idea first!

It would be a faff & I can't be bothered tbh but if it needs to be done I will!

blue bear
27-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I would email rospa and ask their advice.

muffins
27-08-2011, 08:18 PM
I would email rospa and ask their advice.

:thumbsup: Great idea, thanks!

crazyhazy
27-08-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm 99% sure britax (check their website?) say they only need replacing after a collision over 10mph so based on your car being stationary I'd think they'll be ok x