PDA

View Full Version : dogs??

adele1985
27-08-2011, 01:41 PM
I have 2 dogs max (labrador x golden retriver mix) and beau (german shepard) beau goes to work with my partner and max says at home with me and spends most of his time in the utility room where his bed, bowls and toys are. Both the dogs are really good with the kids and love the attention they give them. we take max for at least one walk a day and my mindee loves walking my max's side and giving him the odd cuddle as we walk (which max just takes in his stride)

Just wounderd how many of you have dogs
Where do they stay while your minding

smurfette
27-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I also have two dogs a german shepherd and a lab cross Newfoundland - we have a 150 foot garden and the bottom 40 foot or so is fenced off for the dogs so they stay there during the day. The mindees parents all were concerned that the dogs would not be near the kids so at the moment I havent even walked them with the little ones which I would like to do (prob just the lab cross) I do feel bad for them being shut out but before I minded they were out all day as my own were small and it was all too crazy , and they do have space and each other for company. It's nice your dh can take the dog to work! What does he do?

marleymoo
27-08-2011, 02:22 PM
I have 2 dogs max (labrador x golden retriver mix) and beau (german shepard) beau goes to work with my partner and max says at home with me and spends most of his time in the utility room where his bed, bowls and toys are. Both the dogs are really good with the kids and love the attention they give them. we take max for at least one walk a day and my mindee loves walking my max's side and giving him the odd cuddle as we walk (which max just takes in his stride)

Just wounderd how many of you have dogs
Where do they stay while your minding

our 2 pups have their own play pen where they eat and sleep. all of our mindees have dogs at home so this hasn't been a problem. the pups are growing up with the kids and they love the attention. pups do their business before 8 and after 6 and wee on a hardstanding area which we can wash and sanitise immed and we can cordon off from mindees.

miss mopple
27-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I have 2 dogs, and 18mth old retriever cross and a 4.5mth springer/lab. They spend most of their time in the kitchen when I am working, and also have a pen in the garden. they come out to parks/walks etc with the kids if we are out and about and love it :D

adele1985
27-08-2011, 03:05 PM
our 2 pups have their own play pen where they eat and sleep. all of our mindees have dogs at home so this hasn't been a problem. the pups are growing up with the kids and they love the attention. pups do their business before 8 and after 6 and wee on a hardstanding area which we can wash and sanitise immed and we can cordon off from mindees.

My 2 are only young we got the lab when he was 8 weeks old ( 2 weeks before I started minding) was an intresting couple of months to say the least lol he soon got into a rountine of going into the utililty room when i was minding. We got the shepard when the lab was 7 months old and she has always went to work with my partner. Its funny to watch they both know thier routine, when my partner gets his shoes out in the morning the shepard goes and sits by the front door and the lab takes him self off to the utility room and lays in his bed

PixiePetal
27-08-2011, 03:08 PM
we have a young terrier - she has a crate in the kitchen if I want her out of the way. She goes to work with DH a lot of the time and comes in with him at lunchtime (he is a farmer)

Depending on which part of the house I am in with mindees, she can wander in the rest of it - often upstairs with DD when she's not at college.

We walk her sometimes if DH has left her here and we all go in garden, which is big, so dog usually goes to a quiet spot away from noisy 2yr old mindee - dog will growl at him if mindee rushes or grabs quickly - no one else - just him! but she is happy for him to feed her bits of dry food. Best kept separate for safety. :rolleyes:

JumpingJacks
27-08-2011, 04:27 PM
I've a lab/retriever crossed with a staffy(according to vets). Shandy has his own space fenced off at the bottom of the garden where he can go for peace and quiet, but he also mixes with the children. He's great with kids, always supervised and parents are happy. The only time I lock him in his cage is through meal prep and meal times.

Louise1981
27-08-2011, 04:38 PM
I have a very old shih-Tzu he is 13 years old and all my mindde children love him. As he is very old he sleeps all day, but when he is awake the children fuss him and brush him, he loves this and so does the kids, in fact one of my mindee's are going to do their cub badge on him, as he has to do his caring for animal badge. None of my parents have a problem at all with him, in fact they love if as most of them do not have a dog and parents do not have time to care for one. Therefore they are really happy that they can play with mine.

He is not aloud in the room when we are eating though, so is put in the corridor and is aloud to come back in once we have finished. My dog is never left unsupervised with any of the children.

primula
27-08-2011, 09:24 PM
We have a bichon! I walk him before the kids arrive and then when they have gone usually. I sometimes take him out with the kids which they enjoy.He stays behind the baby gate that divides part of the hallway and the stairs. I just never trust the combination of minded kids and dog! Do others find that female dogs seem to be more tolerant?

MaryMary
27-08-2011, 09:47 PM
I have a 2 yo Springer Spaniel. I keep him separate from the children when minding - mainly because he has a toy-stealing habit!!
During the day he stays in the kitchen or garden. if mindees need the toilet (accessed through the kitchen) i go with them. If he is in the garden, I either lock the back door (he can open it) or the end of the garden is fenced off & he stays down there. he has a kennel in the garden, which he can use if he needs to. He has a crate in the kitchen, but it is rarely used now. It is there if I need it though :) (it is big enough for 3 children & a labrador!!:laughing: )
I sometimes take the mindees & children out for a walk together, but the dog makes a horrible noise if he is tied up outside the play area and it is embarrassing :o The children enjoy trips to the woods or nature reserve though, and he can run off the lead then (everyone is happy!)

amanda1309
27-08-2011, 10:04 PM
I have a 2 yo Springer Spaniel. I keep him separate from the children when minding - mainly because he has a toy-stealing habit!!
During the day he stays in the kitchen or garden. if mindees need the toilet (accessed through the kitchen) i go with them. If he is in the garden, I either lock the back door (he can open it) or the end of the garden is fenced off & he stays down there. he has a kennel in the garden, which he can use if he needs to. He has a crate in the kitchen, but it is rarely used now. It is there if I need it though :) (it is big enough for 3 children & a labrador!!:laughing: )
I sometimes take the mindees & children out for a walk together, but the dog makes a horrible noise if he is tied up outside the play area and it is embarrassing :o The children enjoy trips to the woods or nature reserve though, and he can run off the lead then (everyone is happy!)

We have a 4 year old springer and he sounds alot like yours:laughing:
If i let him through into the lounge with mindees we would have no toys left LOL and the noise he makes when tied up outside play area is also embarrassing.

Mindees love taking him for a walk and shouting his name as he runs off.

MaryMary
27-08-2011, 10:43 PM
We have a 4 year old springer and he sounds alot like yours:laughing:
If i let him through into the lounge with mindees we would have no toys left LOL and the noise he makes when tied up outside play area is also embarrassing.

Mindees love taking him for a walk and shouting his name as he runs off.

the annoying thing is, there are toy boxes without lids on, and he doesn't bother with them. But if he finds a stray brick, or figure, or similar under the sofa after the mindees have gone, we have no hope of getting it back!! It is like he only does it to wind me up :mad: Soft toys, however are NEVER safe, and I cringe when a mindee brings a 'precious' toy with them :o (they have been warned!!) A floor full of toys is too much temptation for him to cause trouble! (but we love him anyway :D )

anthea jane
28-08-2011, 08:56 AM
We have a 1yr old ridgeback, he is shut in the kitchen most of the time (where he normally just sleeps the whole time!) He also has is own fenced of area in the garden where he goes when we are outside or if I am cooking/preparing meals.