PDA

View Full Version : Unpaid depoist

noreenismail
26-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I had a parent sign a contract and she agreed to pay the depoist today, the child is due to start the settling in days next week.

I have not received the depoist, is it too early to chase,
I sent her the invoice next day which stated the due date and late payment fees.

If she doesn't pay can I cancel the contract, how much notice do I need to give as it's not started yet.

It just that I had to let down another parent due to ofsted getting my numbers wrong, so I know I could fill the place but would need to act quickly,

Thanks in advance
Noreen

rickysmiths
26-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Have you signed the contract and has the amont of the Deposit been written on the Contract?

I never sign a Contract until I have the Deposit cleared in the bank or at least a cheque, even though the parent may have signed.

I don't have a notice period for the 1st four weeks either party can leave without notice if that is what they choose.

Sorry I'm not sure. Perhaps ring the parent and remind them and give them 7 days to pay or say if they don't you will deem the cpntract void. Then put this in writing depending on their reaction?

Pipsqueak
26-08-2011, 09:19 PM
'm not sure about the in's and outs of this either. I wold take some further advice

I never sign the contract until I have the deposit in my hand.

noreenismail
26-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I have signed the contract, I guess I'll learn from my mistakes,

I will call her tomorrow to remain and see what she says.

miffy
27-08-2011, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't have signed the contracts without a deposit either.

Are you using NCMA contracts because there's a space on there to record the deposit and say what it's to be used for? I would say that the deposit forms part of the contract so if it is not paid then parent has broken the contract. I would call your insurers to see where you stand.

Frankly if you have chance of other work and you can't even get a deposit from this parent (doesn't bode well for the future unless there's a very good reason why she hasn't paid) then I'd try and get out of this contract.

Miffy xx

bekki0405
27-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I got stung twice last year. The first time the parents visited and said they wanted me to look after their lo, came back and signed contracts and asked to pay by BACS, so I agreed. Then they never paid, and I got an email to say they had decided Mum was going to give up work after all.
I came on here and vented my anger, and had great advice, so went with the 'no deposit, no contract signing' theory.

Parent visits, loves the setting, and calls me a few days later saying she wants me to look after her lo. Dad comes round a few days later on his own to look as well, and I get great vibes from the pair of them. Mum comes back round, and I repeat my new mantra 'I require a deposit at the time of signing'. Mum nods her head and says 'great, lets sign the paperwork then'.
So we fill in the reams of paperwork, policies, you know the score. Then turn to parent and ask if she's paying cash or cheque, and she suddenly claims to have forgotten her cheque book. Promises to drop it in, and a few days later I get a text to say she has decided to give up work.

I don't mean to sound paranoid, but this is the second time in a year, and the third time since I started CM'ing! lol. I started to think I'm doing something to make these women want to give up work.

After coming back on here to ask for further advice, my revised new mantra is as follows:
'No deposit in my hand, no paperwork gets touched'

Some parents still contnue to astound me!

noreenismail
28-08-2011, 01:41 PM
I spoke to the parent, she wanted to pay installments and couldn't afford my rates, I asserted that the rates and payment plans were agreed when the contract was signed. She then decided that she will not be using my services.

I will send her a letter to confirm that at her request I have canceled the contract, is there anything else that I need to do.

This was a huge learning curve for me. Thank you everyone for your help.

Noreen.