PDA

View Full Version : Easy meals

LIBBY
26-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Hi I joined this site ages ago and found you all such a great help and then lost internet access as our pc died and I now finally have a phone that can go online!
From September we will have a house full of after schoolies and in the past one of us have cooked and the other gone to the park to burn off steam etc. Now we will have too many under 8's for one of us to stay and cook. We will either all have to stay in or only some go to the park unless I can think of lots of meals etc that don't need watching I have two slow coolers but have so far just made stew as many other ideas as possible would be very gratefully received! Many thanks in advance Libby Xxx

funemnx
26-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Can you cook things like Shepherds Pie, Bolognaise or Lasagne in advance/freeze and reheat it?

That way, you can all go to the park while it's heating :thumbsup:

khlwomitchell
26-08-2011, 07:15 PM
think of jackets with stuff. its hot but can be left in the oven safe enough on low.
Also use the slow cooker to do chicken breasts with a stock to be all moist, or chilli in the slow cooker.
Chicken breasts with white wine is totally lush, with shallots and maybe chestnut mushrooms.
Muffin pizza's cook real quick too. xx

blue bear
26-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Curry, chilli, sweet and sour, carbonara, joints of meat all good in the slow cooker.

khlwomitchell
26-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Curry, chilli, sweet and sour, carbonara, joints of meat all good in the slow cooker.
How do you do this?
Like the idea of it, my method makes such a mess!

blue bear
26-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Fry off the chicken, bacon onions, garlic.
Make White sauce, add sauce and meat etc to slow cooker add peas and sweetcorn leave on low.

Doesn't take long to cook, serve with fresh tagetelli which cooks in minutes.

Dragonfly
26-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Doesnt the sauce get too watery? only asking cause normally you only add ( well i do) a little water say when you cook a joint or stew and you end up with enough liquid for gravy:idea:

khlwomitchell
26-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Doesnt the sauce get too watery? only asking cause normally you only add ( well i do) a little water say when you cook a joint or stew and you end up with enough liquid for gravy:idea:

i was actually thinking it'd get dry as white sauce could lay bricks when dry!
i like the idea of all the flavours marrying together as it stews and being able to come back to it usually carbonara is an eat immedicatly thing xx Thanks

Cinderbella
26-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Mine all love Carbonara with bacon , but my method is going to tesco's and buying a tub of the sauce from the fridge :laughing:

muffins
26-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Mine all love Carbonara with bacon , but my method is going to tesco's and buying a tub of the sauce from the fridge :laughing:

Same here:laughing:

chibault
26-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Lamb tagine is a good one for slow cookers and the cous cous can be prepared in 3 mins.

khlwomitchell
27-08-2011, 07:24 PM

i just can't do it!! or my worst nightmare ragu white sauce for lasange!
I love my sauce with tons of cheese and then i stir through the garlicy bacon/mushroom juices and its amazing!!

blue bear
27-08-2011, 07:32 PM
I make the suce really thin and add cream when I get in from school run while pasta cooks, also I often make up batches of White sauces and freeze and just put in slow cooker frozen.

I generally put it together whole lo sleeps and set off in slow cooker when I head to school.

Goodness I an a useless cook, can't believe I am trying to give others advice! Lol