PDA

View Full Version : Crying when she wants something...

buzzy bee
26-08-2011, 12:35 PM
I have a 14 month old who cries everytime she wants something... if she wants me to read her a story she picks it up, holds it out to me and cries... if she wants me to open her drink cup lid, she holds it out to me and cries. Etc!

What would you do about this?

I don't want to reinforce the fact that she cries to get what she wants, but if I don't do what she wants immediately she keeps crying and crying til I do!!

Any ideas?

Minstrel
26-08-2011, 12:40 PM
I think at 14mths its fairly normal to still be crying. She doesn't yet have the vocab to express it all and crying is her way of expressing that she has a need to be met.

I'm just going by my DD who is a similar age and I certainly don't think i am spoiling her or giving in to her needs by answering the cries at this stage.

:)

rickysmiths
26-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I have one of those at the moment. They do grow past it when they are talking well. You just need to try and second guess as much as you can so they don't have too many chances to cry.

buzzy bee
26-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks... Maybe I'm expecting too much but at this age my son and other mindees I've had haven't cried this much...

She is able to hold the book out to me to indicate she wants me to read it so I really don't see the need to cry!!

Zoomie
26-08-2011, 01:08 PM
I would then ask her if she want you to read the book and encourage her to nod her head as yes, and later on to say the word yes.

Hopefully this crying stage doesn't last too long.

Helen79
26-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Maybe try teaching her the sign for please if she can't talk yet. If you do it every time she cries when she's asking for something she'll learn to do the sign instead of the cry.

The Juggler
26-08-2011, 01:35 PM
also just model the words she needs each time 'oh you want me to read the book for you'. :thumbsup: