PDA

View Full Version : am i being wrong

gegele
26-08-2011, 08:57 AM
i feel a bit guilty for something i haven't done yet and that i need to do and might end up not being a problem in the long run.....

LOL i explain.

i have a mum on maternity leave since may. i'll have new baby 3days a week and original mindee 1day a week in february. I have mindee half a day a week to keep continuity. mum told me to do what i needed to do for the welfare of my business and family and is ready to take the risk not to have the space as she can't afford any spending on maternity money. I have becomed really good friend with mum and love the kids.

so i did chose to just carry on until february...BUT
the money loss is starting to get difficult to bare , a third of my income, and one of my mum quit her job and decided to change career... i didn't have her kid much but the small income loss is now tipping me over the edge...i have to replace the one on maternity leave.

but comes february if ofsted doesn't agree a variation then i'll let go the new ones....it feels wrong to take them on to maybe have to let them go in 6months
BUT 6months of income is a lot AND a other one of my mum is thinking having a baby as well sooooooo

am i being wrong? would you have done it?
:(

The Juggler
26-08-2011, 09:05 AM
the way I see it hon you have a couple of options but I would not take on new mum on the basis it's permanent then give her notice if you don't get variation. I would do one of these.

1. meet new mum tell her you will offer her the space on a temp basis only but when current mum returns to work you will apply for variation. if you get it you will be able to keep her on. However, you may lose the work over this as she may prefer someone who is not going to give notice in 6 months.

2. meet new mum and tell her space is perm. more likely to get the work :thumbsup:

speak to current mum, tell her you can no longer afford to keep the space open for nothing and you will have to fill it. give her the option of a retainer now or tell her you will fill space

a. on a temp basis only and give her her space back when she wants it
b. on a perm basis and apply for variation when she needs you but if you don't get it you'll have to let her go.

Good luckx :thumbsup:

jaja
26-08-2011, 09:05 AM
sounds like the new baby`s mum knows that the space may not be there and you have to do what is right for you, i am waiting for a lady who told me just before she got pregnant and now the lo is 4 months but not starting until nov, i have told her that if the space is there then its hers but i canrt hold the space which she knows and shes ok with, although i kinda have kept the space open, lol, shes a firend and we get on really well...

You might get a variation for them when she is ready to go back or you might find another space opens up, one thing this job fetches is uncertainty (sp?)lol, you never know what is going to happen xxxx

AgentTink
26-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Im not sure there is a right or wrong answer.

What will you do if you take on new family and become really attached to them over the next few months... will you really be able to cancel their contract in February or will you feel bad?

People's plans change all the time, so just because this mum says she going back to work in February, what if when she goes to return to work she loses her job or cant get the hours... just worst case situations.

If you really need the money to live on then i think you dont have choice but to take on a new family however i think you may need to let go of the current family and just see what happens in February as 6 months is a long time. You are a business, but i dont think it would be fair to allow some new children to become atached to you for 6 months and then cancel on them. Unless you can find a family who are only looking for 6 months care.

It's so hard, as i say i dont think there is a right or wrong answer

gegele
26-08-2011, 09:13 AM
i NEED the money there's no if about it....i need to do what i need to do and hopefully things with turn out ok.

need to meet the family first, for all i know they won't want the place...

booooo it shouldn't be so complicated.

sunflower
26-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Hi
I would take on new child, who knows baby waiting in the wings might not materialise.... feb is 6 months away.
I wouldnt say anything to any parents, things change all the time in this line of work :)

jane5
26-08-2011, 09:24 AM
I would take on a new family on a permanent basis as you need the money and if you dont get the variation I would tell the maternity mum that here is nothing you can do.

I would not hold the space because she may decide to go back to work on less hours and not need you or she may lose her job.

I think if she is saying not to hold the space and she will take her chances she is not that definite that she will need you

bestmum2have
26-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Hi,
I would also take on the new child, our circumstances are always changing.

christine e
26-08-2011, 09:29 AM
I would take on a new family on a permanent basis as you need the money and if you dont get the variation I would tell the maternity mum that here is nothing you can do.

I would not hold the space because she may decide to go back to work on less hours and not need you or she may lose her job.

I think if she is saying not to hold the space and she will take her chances she is not that definite that she will need you

I agree with Jane5 - and you may well get a variation IF in the end they all needed you

smurfette
26-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I think if she is saying not to hold the space and she will take her chances she is not that definite that she will need you[/QUOTE]

Think this is a very good point - I know she said she can't afford retainer but she didnt say please keep space oPen anyway or play on your emotions like some parents do - also a lot of parents would send little ones for more hours when on maternity - now maybe it is the money and maybe it's that she is enjoying being home with them -- in which case who knows what will happen in Feb - she has more or less given you permission to do what you have to do.dont see you have much choice if you need the money hun

RainbowMum
26-08-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm in exactlythe same position - I have a mum on mat leave wanting to come back feb, her 2 yr old is coming one day a week instead of the normal 3 till feb when he and the baby will be 3 days.... I have taken on another child in the meantime and with a bit of juggling will be able to fit the new baby in IF ofsted grant a variation for 2 of the 3 days - I'm just keeping everything crossed that with my good grade and continuity of care it will be granted - if not I'll worry about it then ;)

gegele
26-08-2011, 01:05 PM
:( thank you for replies ladies but i may not have any situation as parent just called they're not coming!!

i texted him as still hadn't confirm a time of visit so if i didn't then he wouldn't have said anything and i would still be waiting like a melon!!!

aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeddd something or i need to go back caring at night and i really don't want to as too tiring to do both jobs :(

:( feeling like the weather :(

marleymoo
27-08-2011, 03:29 PM
the way I see it hon you have a couple of options but I would not take on new mum on the basis it's permanent then give her notice if you don't get variation. I would do one of these.

1. meet new mum tell her you will offer her the space on a temp basis only but when current mum returns to work you will apply for variation. if you get it you will be able to keep her on. However, you may lose the work over this as she may prefer someone who is not going to give notice in 6 months.

2. meet new mum and tell her space is perm. more likely to get the work :thumbsup:

speak to current mum, tell her you can no longer afford to keep the space open for nothing and you will have to fill it. give her the option of a retainer now or tell her you will fill space

a. on a temp basis only and give her her space back when she wants it
b. on a perm basis and apply for variation when she needs you but if you don't get it you'll have to let her go.

Good luckx :thumbsup:

my answer is 2 (b) lol
was fun that!

marleymoo
27-08-2011, 03:34 PM
i too have parent on mat. older child comes to me 1 out of his 2 days for continuity but she wants both to come 2 days from Dec. I only have Tuesday afternoon free for both mindees at the moment and may have none at all by then but as she's not paying a retainer (she really is tight) i don't feel obliged to keep any day free for her at all. she knew that if she paid retainer she'd be guaranteed a place for both boys both days but she was prepared to take the gamble. as it is, she can only have one afternoon which isn't even a day she needs but all i could give her. tough i say.

Lincsminder
27-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Ive learnt to allwys work for now. The mum on maternity might decided not to come back, or the new one might leave in 2 months any way. You just dont know what is around the corner so if you need the money take work when you can get it.

marleymoo
29-08-2011, 06:13 PM
couldnt' agree more

cupcake22
30-08-2011, 07:48 AM
You need to do whats right for you and your family afterall parents do!!

Cupcake22