PDA

View Full Version : A Warning....

venus89
08-05-2008, 05:26 PM
In the Kent childcare magazine i got through they're warning about a new scam affecting childminders. A couple email from abroad saying they're moving to area and want childcare. A few emails, they send photos of child, and then send a big cheque to hold place - up to £3000. Then they tell you it's all fallen through and ask you to pay the money back into their account in increments of £500. And then you find out their cheque has bounced.

nice, huh?

SimplyLucy
08-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks for warning us all. :panic:

Wendy Woo
08-05-2008, 05:34 PM
cant belive it cheeky u no wots.:angry:

Nice of u to tell all:)

Mollymop
08-05-2008, 05:39 PM
There's loads of these scams flying around. I had one like this a few months ago but it have money concerned, but i guess it would have if i had replied. I delted it pronto.

crazybones
08-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I had one too but thanks for remininding us. Some of the newer members may not be aware of it.

brillminder
08-05-2008, 06:04 PM
i have had some of these similar in the past , if it sounds too good it probaly is :)

Lincsminder
08-05-2008, 06:37 PM
I had an email like this not long after I started minding, goodness know how they got my address.

mrsb
08-05-2008, 06:56 PM
omg I've never heard of this sort of thing before:eek: flippin heck whatever next:mad:

Thanks for the warning :)

emler
08-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Thank for warning us :thumbsup:

Emler x

Pauline
08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Thes things have been going for several years, they tend to target new minders who are advertising perhaps hoping that they will be too naive to notice it is a scam.

Be warned, a member on here nearly fell for it last year, but it was down to it being mentioned that she stopped short of sending them the money! :eek:

angeldelight
08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the reminder

Angel xx

hello kitty
09-05-2008, 06:24 AM
Had an e-mail last week from a Reverend from Ghana coming here for 6 weeks to celebrate his wedding anniversary and needing short term childcare - something about it didn't ring quite right so I have just deleted it. Could have been quite plausible but I wasn't keen!

taiwallis
13-05-2008, 09:48 AM
i did nearly get scammed by this. to the point, that i was talking to them on the phone as well. they sent me photos of their children, i sent photos of mine back, so the kids could see who they would be playing with. i realised only when the kid didn't turn up for the second week. i am quite used to people paying for my places until they are ready to take them on, so didnt seem too indifferent - and they were very nice to speak to. did catch on though, and didn't bank the cheque. someone in liverpool did bank her cheque and lost thousands due to it xxx

amyk
13-05-2008, 10:30 PM
oh my goodness this is awful!!

i advertised on netmums, and almost straight away i got a reply from a guy saying he was spanish and was moving over here to the area-and could i look after his son. so i emailed back thinking nothing of it at this stage, telling him i had a place available, and what i charge etc, then he emailed back saying great okay, this is what i will pay you, can we start this date etc and he had also attached a photo, it was at this stage that i just deleted the message, i didnt dare look at the photo, i was too scared of what i may have found!!!

sooo creepy, there are some nutters out there

Amy x