PDA

View Full Version : Shift work - next year...?

mum2two
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I've had an enquiry from a lady who has 2 children, and she has enrolled on a midwifery course for next April. (When she originally contacted me it was for Sept, but due to probs she's had to defer til April)

My problem is, now it's April, I can't be expected to hold 2 spaces until then.

So I e-mail her back saying I'll keep her informed, and if it comes to a point where I have an enquiry that would leave me unable to take on her 2 children, I'll contact her & if she wants to use me, can pay a deposit/retainer (which one...?)

Is that the best thing to do in this situation?

Kelly x

deeb66
08-05-2008, 06:06 PM
If this was me I would tell her that unfortunately I cannot hold the spaces for that length of time, and that she should contact you a couple of months beforehand to see if you still have the vacancies.

I understand that you don't want to let her go but do you really want to accept a retainer for 2 spaces which would only bring in say half of your potential income for the next 9 -10 months.

If you are happy then by all means go ahead but then you have to think would she be happy to pay you half fees for the next 9 - 10 months.

I personally don't think it practical because in theory you may be able to fill those spaces several times over in that time.

Only you can decide what is for the best.

Good luck

Let us know what you decide.

crazybones
08-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I agree with Dee. It is a very long time.

Alibali
08-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Yes, it's far too long to hold a space, and it would cost her far too much to pay a retainer for 2 kids at half fee for all those months. Keep her on your waiting list.

Good luck

Ali x

angeldelight
08-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Hope she gets back to you at a later date

Angel xx