PDA

View Full Version : Ill child and mum not happy!

Maz04
25-08-2011, 04:13 PM
*sigh*
I have been minding a 1 year old girl, the last few days she has been out of sorts, not herself and crying a lot of the time.
Yesterday she spent most of the day screaming, she was inconsolable and refused foods, which I reported back to mum.
Mum told me this morning she'd had an unsettled night and had been very clingy, and she felt she was coming down with something. I was still happy to have her, but after a morning of non-stop screaming and food refusal, plus a bit of a loose nappy, I rang mum just to warn her I may be sending her home this afternoon, she made it quite clear she wasn't too happy about it but sympathised with her little girl feeling under the weather.
We went to a toddler group this afternoon, came back and the poor thing was sick all over herself, me and the floor. After consoling her and cleaning her up, I made the call to mum to arrange for her to go home, which she came to do right away.
However, I mentioned about seeing her next week, and she looked confused and asked about tomorrow. I said that as she's been sick, it's my policy to not accept them back for 24 hours after they were last sick, to help prevent it spreading - she clearly wasn't happy and went on about how inconvieniant it would be for her as she needed to work and now she didn't know what she should do!
I was gob-smacked tbh, if it was my child I'd be wanting to stay with her, she knew she'd been upset and crying all day!

miffy
25-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Sadly there are parents like this who think you should just carry on looking after their ill children so they can go to work.

Wonder how mum would feel if you then came down with the bug and weren't able to look after her lo! :rolleyes:

My sickness policy excludes for 48 hours from the last bout of sickness or diarrhoea!

Miffy xx

marleymoo
25-08-2011, 04:44 PM
My sickness policy excludes for 48 hours from the last bout of sickness or diarrhoea!

Miffy xx

no way i'd go to work whilst my own child was ill. what planet are these people from? their job is no more important than ours is and besides our own welfare, we are legally responsible for the welfare of the other children we care for too. if she turns up with this child tomorrow, do not let them over the step. i'd like to see her complain to ofsted, they'd totally be with you on this. just have a copy of your policy ready in case she's mislaid hers (conveniently) and you could also print off a copy of the nhs guidelines for this kind of thing. DO NOT BACK DOWN

Tinglesnark
25-08-2011, 04:47 PM
mine is 48 hours too like miffy's. I had one parent call me and ask me to make a contract with her for when her childminder couldnt have LO due to the childs sickness as her childminder had an exclusion policy of 24 hours. She nearly had a fit when i told her that no, i do not care for sick children and MY policy was 48 hours from last bout :panic: sadly some parents can be quite selfish...
stick to your guns and check out online whether the 24 hour exclusion is long enough for D&V
X

karensmart4
25-08-2011, 04:57 PM
The requirement is 48hrs.

Poor child, you did your best to care for her and now she should be at home with mum... bless her, they're not children for long!!!

rickysmiths
25-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Mine is 48hrs as well. Childre4n are not always sick to order its tough being a parent.

teacake2
25-08-2011, 05:12 PM
My new parents rang me monday morning at 8.00a.m. to say little one had S & D and wouldn't be in and before I could say anything she said of course he won't be with you tuesday either, I understand the need to keep him away from you and the others, why can't they all be like this, mind you this is the first set of parents who have done this.:) :)
Teacake2

marleymoo
25-08-2011, 05:39 PM
My new parents rang me monday morning at 8.00a.m. to say little one had S & D and wouldn't be in and before I could say anything she said of course he won't be with you tuesday either, I understand the need to keep him away from you and the others, Teacake2

FLAMING 'ECK, FOR ONCE I AM RENDERED SPEECHLESS.

Tinglesnark
25-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Mine is 48hrs as well. Childre4n are not always sick to order its tough being a parent.

Yes, very tough. Especially when one is expected to care for ones own child!:eek:

tulip0803
25-08-2011, 06:12 PM
As the others have said the recommended exclusion time for sickness and or diarhea is 48 hours. I have a copy of the Health Protection Agencies guidance for nurseries, schools and childcarers to show parents.

BlondeMoment
25-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Did she have a copy of the policies? If she hasn't read your sickness policy thats her problem.

I'm like you. I just want to help people and hate feeling like I'm being a let down. But it's not fair on your other mindees to have a very sick child around. For a start they could spread the bug to everyone else, and also they need one to one attention that you're unable to give.

marleymoo
25-08-2011, 06:36 PM
As the others have said the recommended exclusion time for sickness and or diarhea is 48 hours. I have a copy of the Health Protection Agencies guidance for nurseries, schools and childcarers to show parents.

yes, this is the document i was on about. copy it and give it to her to show her you're not just being awkward

Maz04
25-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Sorry, I made a mistake, my exclusion policy is 48 hours, I don't quite know why I wrote 24 :blush:

khlwomitchell
25-08-2011, 08:04 PM
in my village one sick kid means all kids get it eventually.
I am rare but don't mind D&V in my 9 mth old. with three of my own i am more likely to be unable to work. My mindee mum as laid back as me so if my kids have small runny tum she doesn't mind, just extra caution and vice versa.
If mine were all puking i'd be more wary but i had him when he was sick as his mum away and poor dad was teriffied first timer. No skin off my nose, my lot had all had it the previous week.
If i had another mindee i'd NEVER do it as that is unprofessional!
I'm thinking of advertising my services as a chicken pox haven, thats a tough one too!!

Tinglesnark
25-08-2011, 08:30 PM
in my village one sick kid means all kids get it eventually.
I am rare but don't mind D&V in my 9 mth old. with three of my own i am more likely to be unable to work. My mindee mum as laid back as me so if my kids have small runny tum she doesn't mind, just extra caution and vice versa.
If mine were all puking i'd be more wary but i had him when he was sick as his mum away and poor dad was teriffied first timer. No skin off my nose, my lot had all had it the previous week.
If i had another mindee i'd NEVER do it as that is unprofessional!
I'm thinking of advertising my services as a chicken pox haven, thats a tough one too!!

I would certainly mind my 9 month old baby being exposed to D&V unnecessarily :panic: it can be very dangerous!

Ill stick to my 48 hour exclusion...i may be wrong but i think that we have an obligation to prevent the spread of infectious diseases and this would come under meeting welfare requirements?

khlwomitchell
25-08-2011, 08:45 PM
I would certainly mind my 9 month old baby being exposed to D&V unnecessarily :panic: it can be very dangerous!

Ill stick to my 48 hour exclusion...i may be wrong but i think that we have an obligation to prevent the spread of infectious diseases and this would come under meeting welfare requirements?

I'll check that, mindee wasn't exposed that incident my kids were, but i'm too nice. I think that it's best then to have a formal acceptance from her if she chooses to give boyo to me and one of mine not 100%. Good idea.
I'm still so mum and less buisness, so used to 3 kids passing around bugs it doesn't really register as a bad thing, just a kids thing xx

The Juggler
25-08-2011, 09:22 PM
it sounds horrible of the mum but some bosses (and workplaces) can be very unforgiving and I don't think parents realise how they come across to us when they seem unconcerned about their sick child. they are probably more worried about losing their jobs :(

snufflepuff
26-08-2011, 10:56 AM
I had similar a while back- mindee was sick just before Mum came to collect and I told her about the 48 hours exclusion- which she knew about having read my policies, contract, HPA leaflet etc- and she just stood there with her mouth wide open asking me what on earth she was meant to do about work!!!
She took great delight when she came back in telling me that mindee had been perfectly fine the whole time, nothing wrong with her, no need for her to have stayed off! Sick is sick, she needed to stay away!

Makes me feel terrible but i'm not going to bend the rules.

I've also had a parent ask if I can still have her child even though they had been sick because I had no other mindees that day, it would only be my son here so it didn't matter! Why would I want to expose my son AND myself to a tummy bug?!?!

samantha_jane
26-08-2011, 11:40 AM
My "friend" attempted to bring her LO on monday morning after a weekend of vommiting. I refused to look after her (very politely) and reminded her of the 48 hours post vomitting exclusion. She sent me a very blunt text and was quite clearly not happy. She then brought LO on tuesday and immediately the child was having very loose nappies. I text mum to warn her that I may need her to pick her LO up and she wasnt interested at all. I got a further blunt text. An hour later when there had been a further loose nappy and a second change of clothes, I rang mum to ask her to collect. She was extremely rude to me and said that her or LO's dad would come when they could! 1 hour and 40 minutes later dad appeared !! Subsequently my own little boys have started with D & V and I am shut for at least 2 days !!! I have changed my sickness policy to include a point about children being collected within a reasonable time frame. I have been really upset especially as the childs parents are friends of ours. I just feel that they have acted really selfishly . Steep learning curve and would never agree to mind a friends child again !
Samx

:mad:

marleymoo
26-08-2011, 12:28 PM
if they can't get someone to you within 15mins, could you offer to drop the child off to a relative nearby? the sooner they're rid of the better as far as i'm concerned. parents get me soooooooo angry

The Juggler
26-08-2011, 01:38 PM
My "friend" attempted to bring her LO on monday morning after a weekend of vommiting. I refused to look after her (very politely) and reminded her of the 48 hours post vomitting exclusion. She sent me a very blunt text and was quite clearly not happy. She then brought LO on tuesday and immediately the child was having very loose nappies. I text mum to warn her that I may need her to pick her LO up and she wasnt interested at all. I got a further blunt text. An hour later when there had been a further loose nappy and a second change of clothes, I rang mum to ask her to collect. She was extremely rude to me and said that her or LO's dad would come when they could! 1 hour and 40 minutes later dad appeared !! Subsequently my own little boys have started with D & V and I am shut for at least 2 days !!! I have changed my sickness policy to include a point about children being collected within a reasonable time frame. I have been really upset especially as the childs parents are friends of ours. I just feel that they have acted really selfishly . Steep learning curve and would never agree to mind a friends child again !
Samx

that is rotten hon.:angry:

MaryMary
26-08-2011, 03:03 PM
My 'favourite' has always been when you collect a child from school, take them home, feed them & then shortly before they go home they tell you that were sick the night before!! :panic: The damage is already done, at school aswell!

munch149
26-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I find because they know the policy they just dont tell you they have been sick. They normally get tattled on by the older ones tho

miffy
26-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Samx

Some friend! :rolleyes:

Hope your boys are better soon

Miffy xx

marleymoo
27-08-2011, 12:31 PM
My 'favourite' has always been when you collect a child from school, take them home, feed them & then shortly before they go home they tell you that were sick the night before!! :panic: The damage is already done, at school aswell!

oh yes, i'm a fan of this one too. or when you call a parent to come and collect child with S&D and they say "oh yes he had that last night and his baby brother has it too" meaning she was busy all day with poorly baby so couldn't look after both of them but i look after another 5 whilst looking after hers! aaaarrrgh!

marleymoo
27-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I find because they know the policy they just dont tell you they have been sick. They normally get tattled on by the older ones tho

yup, they just HATE paying us for a day they're not using don't they?