PDA

View Full Version : Accident ending up at A&E

singlewiththree
24-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Today mindee fell at the park and cut open her eyelid. I was with another childminder and we gave immediate first aid. I rang her mum who said there was no way she could get out of work immediately, I explained I thought it needed a hospital visit so as there was only 1 1/2 hrs until mum finished I agreed to take her home and give her 10ml calpol. I sat her in the pushchair (age7) to the car and at home lay her on the sofa with blankets and a cold compress.

Mum arrived and took her to A&E and she has had steri strips on it.

Now, who do I have to inform. I have written a medication form, accident form. What else do I need to do? I've been lucky so far and not had to deal with anything this serious.

miffy
24-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I think you need to inform Ofsted and your insurers.

Miffy xx

Mouse
24-08-2011, 08:55 PM
This is the Ofsted fact sheet on reporting injuries

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-serious-accidents-injuries-and-deaths-registered-providers-must-notify-ofsted-an

I read it that you don't need to inform Ofsted unless the child is kept in hospital for more than 24 hours. I do think you probably need to inform your insurance company.

singlewiththree
24-08-2011, 08:59 PM
This is the Ofsted fact sheet on reporting injuries

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-serious-accidents-injuries-and-deaths-registered-providers-must-notify-ofsted-an

I read it that you don't need to inform Ofsted unless the child is kept in hospital for more than 24 hours. I do think you probably need to inform your insurance company.

Thanks! that was great, it defines her eye as a minor incident so I don't need to inform them. I'm just checking Mortan Michel now

onceinabluemoon
25-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Do you have to also report it to HSE? (RIDDOR) as the child had to have hospital treatment?

candylove13
25-08-2011, 06:58 AM
I've had to report an accident recently and Ofsted said if the child is in hospital for less than 24 hours and it is not a serious injury then they don't need to know. However, the chap on the phone logged it anyway. Might be worth just checking.
My mindee tripped over the velcro on his shoe and ended up pulling a muscle, but he's all fine now :)

JCrakers
25-08-2011, 07:30 AM
I contacted Ofsted when my 8yr old mindee broke his arm falling of some play equipment at the park. They made a step by step note of what had happened and told me to inform RIDDOR. I also had to email in a step by step account of the accident, and put down any improvements to my RA I could make. I couldnt make any so put that down, was doing all I could, just an accident.

I phoned RIDDOR but said they didnt need to know...fair enough :D

Becky

singlewiththree
25-08-2011, 07:39 AM
I phoned RIDDOR but said they didnt need to know...fair enough :D

Becky

Who are Riddor?

singlewiththree
25-08-2011, 08:40 AM
I rang mm and they did want a note of it for their records just incase she experiences further problems with her eye at a later date.

onceinabluemoon
25-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Who are Riddor?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/

marleymoo
25-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995. Health and Safety Executive basically.
These are the things that are reportable:

Deaths and major injuries
Over-three-day injuries
Disease
Dangerous occurrences (near misses)
Gas incidents
Reportable gas incidents

Yours doesn't come into any of these catergories so i wouldn't bother,just get a ref num from your insurers and put on child's paperwork as child has 3 yrs from turning 18 to claim damages for this injury (provided negligence can be proved of course) so keep the accident report and risk assessment for this outing with these records too. i'm not saying this is what you have to do but coming from a legal background, it's what i would do personally