PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a steam mop?

candlequeen
24-08-2011, 07:02 PM
My favourite daily chore - mopping the floors! I've been thinking about a Black and Decker steam mop - it sounds hygienic and non-allergenic and quick and easier than faffing about with mop, bucket, cleaning fluid etc. But half of me worries that it's just another gadget that's going to end up in the back of the cupboard, and £80 down the drain!
Just wondered if anyone has one and has been using it regularly? We have wood, laminate and vinyl floors to clean.

JulieA
24-08-2011, 07:10 PM
I have a steam mop. It is great as the floor is practically dry when done. I have laminate throughout the whole of the downstairs and vinyl in the bathroom.

Loz74
24-08-2011, 07:19 PM
i have a sream mop and would not go back to the normal one

onceinabluemoon
25-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Which steam mops do people have? I've also been thinking of getting one but it's a lot of money to waste if you buy the wrong one.

catminder
25-08-2011, 06:41 AM
I've got the H20 Ultra from QVC. It's quite easy to use, forgot how much it cost, about £70ish.

JulieA
25-08-2011, 08:07 AM
I've got the Quick & Easy - bought it for about £30 in CostCo

murrayspud
25-08-2011, 08:21 AM
I have a Polti steam mop and love it - it cleans all the floors, any upholstry, curtains, seats, sinks, surfaces etc etc. Floors are definately cleaner using it - I just have to look at the cloth to see that :blush:
I like the Polti cos it has a large water reservoir so can steam away to my hearts content.

Kathryn xx

AliceK
25-08-2011, 08:36 AM
I have a Prolectrix one, it wasn't expensive and I love it. So much quicker and easier than using a traditional mop and bucket plus I can use it on carpets which has proved invaluable recently.
Definitely get one :thumbsup:

xxxxx

singlewiththree
25-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Does the heat not lift the laminate flooring?

I've always been put off as I dry mop with disinfectant spray as I'm frightened of damaging my laminate flooring.

linda2girls
25-08-2011, 09:09 AM
I would like to try one as well, but hubby would go mad if it lifted the laminate.

Linda.

BuggsieMoo
25-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Ive got one as well. ThiNK I got it from simply be or JD williams online for about £40 with replacement heads. Its fab as I can do my kitchen floor and it drys instantly so no slipping about x

candlequeen
25-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Wow - so glad I asked people. The Prolectrix one is only £30 at Robert Dyas. I will give this a go! Do you use it on laminate though AliceK?
The Black and Decker one has a special setting for laminate floors, so I presume there's little risk of damage.

Twinkle-Toes
25-08-2011, 01:55 PM
I've been thinking about getting one since I was sucked into a tv advert lol

The one i was looking at has a removable middle bit so you can do toys, surfaces, windows etc without all the chemicals/cleaners.

It's pricey at £100 odd but I think i would use it ALL the time.

http://www.thanedirect.co.uk/products/housewares/h2omopx5/h2omopx5.php

Dunno if i'm allowed to link, please remove if not :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
25-08-2011, 02:01 PM

The one i was looking at has a removable middle bit so you can do toys, surfaces, windows etc without all the chemicals/cleaners.

http://www.thanedirect.co.uk/products/housewares/h2omopx5/h2omopx5.php

This is the one I've been looking at too,

Twinkle-Toes
27-08-2011, 03:42 PM
This is the one I've been looking at too,

I might let you try it out first then!! :thumbsup:

lulubelle
27-08-2011, 03:53 PM
i have ordered the £29.99 one from robert dyas (and some £2.99 plant pots to get free postage!) we have a proper wet room with a floor that is a nightmare to clean so hoping this helps!

cupcake22
28-08-2011, 04:12 PM
I have a steam mop & its great. What i would surgest if you arn't sure about something buy it from either ideal world or QVC coz you can try it & if you dont like it you can send it back for a refund.

Cupcake22

candlequeen
09-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Been using the Robert Dyas Prolectrix one for few weeks now, and love it! Found an online discount code for £5 off so bought some extra mop heads too.

Flisspaps
10-10-2011, 07:45 AM
I've had one for about a fortnight now. It's a Bionaire 3-in-1 so I can use it on the tiles, on the carpet and it comes apart to be a hand-held mop with a shoulder strap, I presume to do wall tiles. I wouldn't go back to a normal mop now, whizz through with the hoover then through with the steam mop.

Cost £125 though.

Jelly Baby
11-10-2011, 08:33 AM
I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have to say i thought it would be a gimmick but its great! We have a big downstairs and it is all laminate or vinyl with the downstairs bathroom and it does a really good job. It was £35 down from £65 and its a Beldray one. I think the amount you spend on mop heads and cleaning fluids it pays for its self.

carmensworld
12-06-2013, 01:55 PM
I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have to say i thought it would be a gimmick but its great! We have a big downstairs and it is all laminate or vinyl with the downstairs bathroom and it does a really good job. It was £35 down from £65 and its a Beldray one. I think the amount you spend on mop heads and cleaning fluids it pays for its self.

I got mine for £65 down from £99. Never thought a mop would change my life so much lol

Got it online and it got delivered in 2 days. Have been using it daily since I can't stand using chemicals. I thought it would damage the laminate too but it's amazing! .....looks brand new every time I use it.

Chatterbox Childcare
12-06-2013, 05:12 PM
I have been trialling 2 of the black and decker steam mops as I had 3 other ones before and these are by far the best. Unless you want to do hand held steam then I wouldn't bother with the top of the range but go for the middle one as it has 2 heads (Argos do it I believe).

It has 3 settings, stone, laminate and wood and the steam doesn't come flying out the end of the head. Look at their website and there are lots of examples of people using it once you get throughthe intro section

marie55
12-06-2013, 06:25 PM

H2O MOP® X5™ - Thane Direct UK (http://www.thanedirect.co.uk/products/housewares/h2omopx5/h2omopx5.php)

I bought this one and it's brilliant :thumbsup: If it doesn't move in my house it's steamed lol. Insomniac tv has a lot to answer for, I bought the Karcher window vac too :laughing:

rickysmiths
12-06-2013, 07:01 PM
I am also trialing the Black and Decker Steam Mops and they are fab. My floors come up a treat with little effort and they are much better than my original Steam mop.

littlemiss60561
12-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Ooh I was going to buy one on offer for 20.00 in asda a while ago but was advised not to as it was for sealed laminate. Apparently ours isn't.. ?

watgem
13-06-2013, 06:34 AM
I have the vax one thats being advertised for £99- but I got a refurb from ebay with a guarantee for about £60 its fab, refreshes my carpets too-got a long lead, heats up quickly-I would never go backxxx

ziggy
13-06-2013, 07:42 AM
I have the Vax one, it was a birthday present lol. Love it. Best bit about steam mop is that floors dry so quickly

bulldog
13-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Id love one too, but I asked the people who fitted our flooring (quickstep) and they said a def NO!!!
Said steam is still hot water so can "blow" the flooring :panic:

I think they look fab tho, and I do mop with boiling water everyday! :doh:

jackie 7
14-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I have a shark with a detachable steamer. I love it cant praise it enough but every so often i use the mop to shine the floor a bit. I have cheap laminate flooring ( i rent) and so far so good. been using it for a year

Bluebell
14-06-2013, 12:42 PM
think I have mixed feelings on my steam mop. it is good to do big job but if you spill something you just want a quick mop not have to get steam mop filled plugged in warmed up etc. (we got rid of our old mop)
also on ours the lead is really short so can't even do the whole room - have to get extension cable out! bit of a pain. if you want a quick mop round then no its not that great but to do the whole room remove all rugs, get in corners and so properly then yes its good - does a good job.

ziggy
14-06-2013, 02:09 PM
I still use traditional mop for spillages and find its not good for shiny tiles in bathroom but still love it lol:laughing:

dundas
14-06-2013, 04:10 PM
hi they are fantastic for bathroom floors if tiled same for kitchen but dont use on wooden floors as they start to curl up the corners of the wood as the steam goes underneath the wood remember wood and water dont mix:laughing:

Tazmin68
14-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I have a wolf 2 in 1 bought from amazon I think it was about £50. I converts from upright to hand held. I have used steam mops on my sealed laminate for 5 years now no issues, tiled in kitchen and bathroom. Had a home tec steam mop until a few months ago. Very happy with both.