View Full Version : Disabled access

24-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi Guys

We are currently looking after 2 children with disabilities, one is fully wheelchair bound and the other has some mobility, all be it with crutches. We have some ramps for the front door access, however need something for inside and we also have 2 other doors that we use for access to the garden.

My question is does anyone know if there is money/grants available for disabled access in your home for childminders. One of the children we have full time and the other before and after scgool.

24-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Not sure what area you're in Dave but check if there is a DCATCH (disabled children's access to childcare) project running in your area - there may be funding available from there.

Miffy xx

christine e
24-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Give your Family Information Service a ring - they should have someone to advise your


24-08-2011, 04:43 PM
I am in Staffordshire and I was told there was nothing available here, that was 5 years ago, (still nothing now) when I needed something to help me with my disabled child (in a wheelchair with very limited mobility). I was told to pay for everything myself. Luckily uncle of said child is a carpenter and was able to make ramps for me to use and we shared the cost of the wood as I was keeping them.

24-08-2011, 05:14 PM
sadly there is a lot less money about nowadays than a few years ago :(

Could you ask the children's parents how they get on and use some of their ideas? :D

24-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I would speak to the parents and ask their advice. It might be that you could borrow some equipment for a while.

Are the children supported by any organisations? They may be able to help as well.

blue bear
24-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Don't know if feasible but could parents try the occupational/physio department, even if they can't loan you equipment they should be able to point you in the right direction.

24-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys some really usefull info and ideas as always.

I shall be making a few calls tomorrow :thumbsup:

24-08-2011, 07:39 PM
a CM in my area has been given £8000 as she is caring for a boy with Downs Syndrome. He is before and after school only, and she doesn't take him or pick him up, he is collected and dropped off by a taxi service!

I believe the £8k is so that she can keep a space free in order to give the boy any additional attention that he might need - however she says she can manage so has filled all her spaces and is spending the money on a huge climbing frame for her back garden!!!???

it is worth asking if you can get any funding that you need! good luck!