PDA

View Full Version : Being flexible vs. maximising business/income?

Katiekoo
24-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I have a part timer who comes mon - thurs contracted hours plus some fridays (most at the moment). Which is fine as I have had space, but now I've had an enquiry for Fridays.

I have asked the part time family if they want to 'retain' the Fridays by paying a 50% retainer, making up to full fee if they use it. Is that the right thing to do? It could get expensive for them, Mum is a freelancer and doesn't know her work patterns in advance.
Should I just allow this much flexibility and keep the space open for part timer to be full time occasionally? They are a super family :)
I figure I'm running a business though and should maximise the spaces I have, I'm trying to become more 'business like' and make some money! Any help please! I am rubbish at the business bit :blush:

tashaleee
24-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Could you not apply to Ofsted for a variation that way you could take on the new child and have the variation for the existing child as they dont need every Friday?

Katiekoo
24-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Ooh good idea! Mind you, do I want all of them at once! :laughing:

The Juggler
24-08-2011, 09:10 PM
i would tell mum you have had an enquiry for fridays and give her the option. tell her she can pay the retaiiner or take a chance and you will apply for a variation but it's not guaranteed.

let her make the choice hon.:thumbsup:

sillysausage
24-08-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm with The Juggler, sound advice!

samb
24-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah I agree with the Juggler too. I tell parents that use me more flexibly that I can do it because currently I have the space each time they ask. That way if I get an enquiry I can say I may no longer have x day available due to an enquiry but if you would like to secure the space at 50% retainer then I can do this. Whoever signs the paperwork and pays first gets the space!

marleymoo
25-08-2011, 03:42 PM
i would tell mum you have had an enquiry for fridays and give her the option. tell her she can pay the retaiiner or take a chance and you will apply for a variation but it's not guaranteed.

let her make the choice hon.:thumbsup:

now this is what i call a well conceived plan....