PDA

View Full Version : Work experience...advice please

Mouse
23-08-2011, 09:02 PM
My son's girlfriend wants to get some experience of working with children and has asked if she can come here. She is trying to get into a childcare course or an apprenticeship and thinks she'd stand a better chance if she had some experience.

How would it work? She's 17. I don't want her registered as an assistant, but is that the only way of doing it? I'm guessing she'll have to have a CRB done, but she won't be left alone with children at all.

But them I'm wondering if it's worth taking her on as an assistant instead. I will need one next year just for one morning a week, though if she gets work she might not be able to do it. How would it work if she was a voluntary assistant?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

JCrakers
24-08-2011, 07:30 AM
I dont really know the ins and outs of it but my brother who now has his level 3 was going to get some experience with me a couple of yrs ago.He didnt in the end as he lives an hour away and managed to get into a nursery where he works now.
Sectretly I was glad as he is very hyperactive and although he is fantastic with children including my own two he tends to have them on the ceiling after a few mins :laughing:

I was going to ring Ofsted and tell them the situation, he was getting a crb through college and as far as i know that was it.

sarah707
24-08-2011, 05:07 PM
If you take on an assistant you need to go through the process of putting together a contract, training for safeguarding, them registering as self employed etc.

It might be easier if she is voluntary and you maybe make her lunch while she is with you...

She'll need a CRB whatever you decide. Hth :D

appleblossom
24-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Check if Work Experience with a Childminder is OK as my DS wanted to do his WE with a CM (not me). He was told he couldn't as We has to be in a workplace with more than one employee.

HMT81
25-08-2011, 08:06 AM
I have a work experience girl who is 14. I checked with NCMA insurance who sent me an employers liability insurance certificate for free as she is a student. I then got permission from mindees' parents for her to be here. With yours being 17 I presume the only difference is she will need a crb. x

marleymoo
25-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I have a work experience girl who is 14. I checked with NCMA insurance who sent me an employers liability insurance certificate for free as she is a student. I then got permission from mindees' parents for her to be here. With yours being 17 I presume the only difference is she will need a crb. x

this is what i think too but as you need a CRB i would also notify Ofsted

marleymoo
25-08-2011, 03:40 PM
btw, if you take her on as an apprentice, your LA may well pay for her training courses. my LA does.