PDA

View Full Version : HELP ... just had a call from Ofsted (pre reg)

time_4_change
22-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi

I have had a call from Ofsted saying they are coming to do my registration visit tomorrow. Im in a complete panic :panic: , I haven't got everything ready that I had have liked to :blush: , still got risk assessment to finish, i need to read through all my policies and some are not completed, i have still got some things around the house to complete. I need to finish my questions from the standards,. Just lots of 'bits' really. I could cry!!! it is sooner than i thought lol.

Im thinking of listing my 'to do' list and my 'wish list' to show that I have thought about these things and my main priority tonight to be re-reading standards and completing the questions.

Any advice welcome :)

Leanne x

AgentTink
22-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Good luck for tomorrow.

They do not expect you to have everything ready they just check that you have sufficent knowledge of what you do need once you start the business.

I had completed loads of risk assessments and she didnt look at a single one, she simply walked through each room and got me to talk about what was a risk in the room and how i would prevent it. If i missed any she would then tell me and receommend to add them to risk assessment.

When it came to policies if i had them she would quickly glance at them and ask me some questions, if i didnt she would recommended to make one and then ask me about my thoughts on what the policy would state.

I would finish off the questions as i found these really helpful as they get you thinking about all the different areas and my inspector did ask a few of the questions to me. And then work on to do list and wish list to show that you are aware of what is needed.

Overall though, dont panic, they are not there to catch you out, if anything mine was really helpful and supportive.

time_4_change
22-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Thank you so much for the reply, I do feel a lot better now. I just thought I had at least another couple of week left yet to get organised :eek:

my plan for tonight is:
finish off and read through questions
wish list and to do list
read through my policies and add any I have forgot or need to finish to my lists

busy night nand lots of coffee - just hope my son has a good night sleep and lets mummy do some work :)

Funny thing is I have spent months building up to this and as per usual its a last minute rush. :rolleyes:

fingers crossed and i will post tomorrow with how i got on.

How have you found it all?

x

Tealady
22-08-2011, 06:23 PM
My pre-reg inspector was lovely and gave me loads of tips and help.

They will tell you if they don't like anything and will probably tell you how to rectify it to their liking. I had a barrier round a bit of insecure garden which wasn't suitable as a small child would have had a field day trying to climb it. Didn't especially occur to me as it wouldn't have tempted my DD to do this. Now I have my DS I totally get where she was coming from! She actually told me about some type of fencing she had seen at other Childminders gardens and told me where to get it.

All you will then get is some actions which when you get your graded inspection will need to be done by then.

Don't panic. Unless you are totally incompetent and obviously shouldn't be caring for children you'll be fine.

time_4_change
22-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Hi Tealady

Thanks for your reply, I know that I am in a panic over nothing, I have now calmed and realised that there is nothing I can do about it now, she is coming tomorrow so i have to deal with it and take the visit has it comes. I think I have done well to get as far as I have (im not from a childcare background) and i can only do my best :) .... currently just reading through my policies just to check any mistakes. I know what needs doing in my house and garden so i can point this out to her/put it on my to-do list. The only thing is I haven't ordered my first aid kit which is shocking :eek: (i didn't forget just something i was getting round to, i have basics in the house but not a full kit) so going to put an order online tonight and print off the confirmation.

My son is 13 month old and is into everything, walking, climbing, he keeps me on my feet. Boys are so active, I can't get him to sit still for 2mins :rolleyes: lots of fun though :D

Leanne x

Kiddleywinks
23-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Just wanted to wish you luck with your visit

Hope it goes ok for you!

Chrissie
x

JennyM
23-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Good luck! You will be fine I'm sure.

When I had my pre-reg visit, she was very helpful and nice.

Can you please tell me which 'Standards' questions you are looking at?

time_4_change
23-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi

It went well i don't know what I was worried about :)

I meant the EY register: preparing for your visit booklet, has about 40 questions in it to help guide you

x

JennyM
23-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Ah thanks.

Glad it went well.