PDA

View Full Version : Crying Baby!!!!

emma04
08-05-2008, 09:45 AM
:panic: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hve an 11 month old girl who has been with me since February and has been fine up until i took a holiday!!!!

She was only away from me for 6 days but she has come back unbearable at times. At the moment she only stops crying when she is asleep or eating and she is very loud and will not give in..

I am sure it is because when she goes home she sits with Mum or Dad until late into the night (I assume this is cos they feel guilty about leaving her all day) Also she has a 12 year old brother who gives her constant attention through playing and his company. Trouble is when she comes here she expects to be able to sit on my lap all day or have my undivided attention constantly.

I have eliminated illness but tiredness is a problem, her sleeps are few and far between and i am battling to get them back to the way they were...1hr am and 1hr pm. I really am at a point where i don't know what to try next.... other than giving in to her demands, which would be extremely difficult with the other children i care for, not to mention unfair!

Today at this precise moment she is screaming the place down. However every time one of the other children plays a tune on the musical toy she silences for 3 seconds before ranting again.......I am positive she is doning it for attention and have decided that today i am going to ignore her. But i am worried about my neighbours reporting me!!! (hot day, windows open!!) Also i don't want her to think i'm wicked!!!

She has been screaming now for 30min!!! Good job i have the patience of a saint!!!!!

Iv'e tried explaining to Dad when he collects, but he just looks at me bewildered, as if i must be doing something wrong and short of telling him and Mum to stop cuddling her all of the time (which a can't really do) there arent any more options!!

ANY IDEAS BEFORE I GO DEAF.......PERMENANTLY!!!!!

Pipsqueak
08-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Sorry Emma I don't have much advice to give - there are others here that have been in that situation (crying baby). I know how frustrating and hard work it must be though.

Do you think it is partly because she was absent from your routine for a while (my 3yr old has hissy fits after the holidays going back to nursery!:( ).

Perhaps you could do with a chat with mum and dad saying how frustrating and difficult it is.

It sounds like distraction is the key with this child and some controlled crying techniques.

Hope you get it sorted - (failing that put the tv/music on quite loud to drown her out and the neighbours can't hear!!!;) )

sarah707
08-05-2008, 11:25 AM
It's very hard... I've been there!

You just have to keep going and develop a deaf ear... make sure the child has plenty to do and do not carry her about everywhere...

Give attention to the others - even if it means she is sat crying in her travel cot for a little while - if she has toys she will not come to any harm for 10 minutes while you sing songs and she might listen and start joining in.

It will pass... or so I am reliably informed! :rolleyes:

Good luck xxhugsxx

jaja
08-05-2008, 11:30 AM
It sounds like the break that did it, when i had a 11 month and had a week off she was unbearable for me, she screamed and cried and wouldnt stop. I ignored it carried on with the normal routine and eventually she stopped, but dont give in because this will make it worse. good luck xxxxxxx

katickles
08-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I know what you mean about being reported by neighbours while all windows are open etc - I thought the same yesterday! but that was my own lo!! :(

I can't really offer any different advice. I would just try to block it out, she will have to relearn your routine. I know its hard as yesterday my own lo didn't let up all day - doing the same kind of things as your mindee, but lucky for me today she's back to her usual happy go lucky self.

If the poor lo isn't in a routine at home - then it will have effects in your setting. Maybe type out a form asking mum & dad about the home routine & explain that your doing it because you want her to be more settled in your setting by keeping things the same. Although they may not have a routine, this may make them think about implimenting one iyswim?

Good luck though x:)

miffy
08-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Could you strap her in the pushchair for short time especially when she's tired but have her at the side of you and talk to her - she might just be happy enough if you're close by and drop off to sleep - it's worth a try

miffy xx

deeb66
08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
I think you just have to keep at it......if you give into her it will make matters worse.

I do hope that she settles back into her routine soon