PDA

View Full Version : i think ive been a snob

foxy lady
08-05-2008, 08:29 AM
first of all sorry to all childminders who are reading this!!!!!!!!!!!!:blush:
for many years i worked in nurseries and more reciently have been a nanny to a few families.
the thing i wanted to say was as a nanny i thought that i was well above all of you childminders and that you were all just stay at home mums playing at childcare.:eek: :eek: :eek:
i had no idea all the hard work that went into being a childminder and how many of you work so hard to run such fantastic buisnesses.( sorry to my sister bet you are going mad if you are reading this)
as a nanny i did not have to think about or worry about what i was feeding the children as the food was all sipplied by the parents
i did not have to worry about the house being safe as that was upto the parents aswell.
although i did painting and stuff with them i was never concerned with observations or records like i am now.
and of course i did not have all the paper work that goes along side childminding.
there is soooooooooooo much more that goes into this than most people realise and although my inspection is now over it still goes on, trying to improve my skills and get more training( as a nanny i didnt need anymore as i thought i new it all after all i am quailfied).
anyway sorry about going on a bit just wanted to say well done to all of you :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: : and sorry i was such a snob.:panic:

angeldelight
08-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Hahaha

Welcome to OUR WORLD

At least you are big enough to admit it haha and we wont hold it against you ha

Thats the problem though a lot of people just do not realise what we do - they think we sit at home all day watching day time TV letting the kids run wild

You have seen now for yourself just how much goes into it

Great that you have noticed I just wish others would too

Angel xx

caza
08-05-2008, 08:58 AM
I must admit until I actually started looking into childminding I was completely ignorant of how much hard work goes into a childminding business :blush:

Since coming on this forum I have realised that its not as straight forward as I thought it was and I just hope I can become as successful a childminder as everyone on here ;)

Caroline

Pipsqueak
08-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Well done Foxy for having the balls to say that:clapping: :clapping:

It is an eye opener isn't it and I think you are not the only one to have thought (think) that. Thats the general problem - childminders aren't recognised as the professional carers equivelent to nannies/nursery workers etc.

No need to apologise Foxy - there is never as good an advocate as someone who has been there and seen both sides of the story - now get on that soapbox and start singing about childminders;) :laughing:

Blaze
08-05-2008, 09:02 AM
I think it was very big of you to post this thread!:clapping:

Tatia
08-05-2008, 09:08 AM
I think I've had a case of reverse snobbery when I was asked if I would nanny for someone. At the time, I felt it was like being a servant or glorified baby sitter. Since then, I've met people who have done the training (NNEB, isn't it?), have gotten to know them and recognize their level of professionalism and have completely revised my opinion. SO I know how you feel!

miffy
08-05-2008, 10:28 AM
I think it was very big of you to post this thread!:clapping:

I agree!

miffy xx

littlewonders
08-05-2008, 10:42 AM
I agree!

miffy xx

+ another!! Well done you :) I think most non-childminders have that opinion though.

I was told the other day when picking my son up from pre-school that soon as I get started I will be raking it in and on more money than private nurseries/childcare!!!

jmoff
08-05-2008, 11:50 AM
I dont think anyone realises do they? Especially with EYFS...

But I do agree, I nannied too for several years and looking back now I had it sooooooo easy!

Jana x

deeb66
08-05-2008, 11:54 AM
:laughing: :laughing:

I don't think you were a snob Foxy.......you just persieved us how a majority of the country does.

I promise I won't hold it against you.....after all you are one of us now :D

foxy lady
08-05-2008, 12:23 PM
oh thanks to you all for not hating me.:blush:
i just cant believe i had got it all wrong.:panic:
i just want to tell the world that it just not like that.
this site just confirms what a great job it is and just how many childminders are doing a really good job:clapping:

the new reformed foxy ha ha :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wendy Woo
08-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Well done now how about u point that out to some of the people i no.
As far as they are concerned i sit on my a***e all day with a few kids running round my feet. if only they new the truth.
:) I think its a great job and i love being with the kids.:)

ma7ie
08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I couldn't believe the amount of paperwork, etc that was needed when I first ventured into becoming a childminder. I really did think it would be an easy ride and I'm sure that non-childminders don't have a clue about the things we have to do.

Cazz
08-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I have to say I am with Caroline with regards to the fact that I wasn't aware just how much you all have to do until I joined this forum. I am really glad I have found out before I got registered though as I know what to expect now.

I have had several people ask me recently if I am going back to work (on maternity leave at mo) and when I say I am hoping to become a registered childminder judging by their response I can see that some of them are thinking 'oh right - she wants to sit at home all day instead of going back to work.' I have found myself going into detail with some of them about how much training, eyfs & obs etc are involved but now I think why should I justify what career I choose to them!

Carole x

Rubybubbles
08-05-2008, 01:43 PM
hey no worries hun, well done for saying you now LOVE childminders:laughing:

Jinx
08-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Doesn't matter how much detail I go into when telling people what is involved in being a childminder, I know they will never understand/believe me!
I didn't understand it all until I became one and then, boy, did it hit me what hard work it is!!!!
Unless you do it, you will not fully 'get' it. But then again, you wont get to experience the great parts either!!

Jinx x

Chimps Childminding
08-05-2008, 02:08 PM
I think parents should spend a day as childminders - like you say i am sure somethink we sit round drinking coffee, watching tv (and chatting on the forum - its ok baby asleep lol) and they are paying us for doing it. I know its not easy being at home with a child as a parent, but they don't have to do the paperwork, keep upto date with training and on top of Ofsted :D and if anyone else asks me when i am going to get a proper job now my boys are leaving school i am going to :censored: :censored: :censored: :D

mrsbumbles
08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Well little Sis is that really what you thought of me :eek:

Why do you think i have gone prematurely grey:rolleyes:

Life as a minder is great, i love the freedom it gives me, i love being my own boss and having my own rules, the children are really rewarding and i get great job satisfaction seeing the children achieve :clapping:

But my goodness its hard work:eek:

After all the fun and games that the outside world sees, there is a mountain of paperwork to deal with, the lonelyness sometimes and the isolation that comes hand in hand with this career :eek: Also emotional baggage that comes with some families that we take on our own shoulders, and the fact that i am always trying to please everyone!!!1, the invaision of your own home, damage to your own property, and no ME time at all

But I wouldnt change any of this for the world :) and i am glad you have joined me as a minder, you were wasted as a nanny! More children can have the benifit of your caring nature and your bubbly ways now!

You have a great future as a minder in front of you and i am sure you will build yourself a great reputation :thumbsup:

PS, everyone i dont think she was brave to say this , i just think she has one almighty gob :laughing:

venus89
08-05-2008, 05:34 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Donna

I have to say I was just the same - I had no idea what childminders did until I looked into becoming one myself and I think it's such a shame people don't know how much work we put in. I think you're all marvellous x

Mollymop
08-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh bless ya heart Foxy! I am glad you are no longer a snob! haha:laughing:

Blaze
08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Spoken like a true sister LOL!:laughing:

brillminder
08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
were all secret snobs about something, even if its the ketchup we use or soup we choose :) well said to you x

RedDragon
08-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Have just finished Unit 5 of my Diploma (already done 1,2,3, and 4) went on a course last night regarding safeguarding children - told a parent I couldn't chat as I was rushing to get ready for the course - her reply????????

"Oh, don't you know your job then?"

:angry: