PDA

View Full Version : Flamming school

Lincsminder
08-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Last year I approached the school about setting up an after school club, Childrens links got involved and to cut along story short they made it very difficult for me so I gave up. Then a few months ago we all got a letter form the school asking if we would use a club if it was set up. I went to the school and was told by the depty head it was them setting it up run by teachers. She told me they had very little response from the parents so I walked away knowing that it would never get off the ground.

Then last night a letter comes home from school saying due to demand an after school club is going to start run by childrens links and they were looking for staff. They charge 1.50 before school and £5 after, now I know 4 local childminders and between us we have 16 vacancies for the under 8's and probably the same amount for the over 8's. I charge £2 before and £8 after so the club will be undercutting us. The letter states "clubs are developed to complement existing chilcare provisions" what a joke.:censored:

miffy
08-05-2008, 06:18 AM
So they thought your idea was a good one but that they could do it themselves - as you say so much for working together

The trouble is these clubs get so much money in funding they don't have to worry about covering their costs initially so they can afford to undercut us.

miffy xx

Lincsminder
08-05-2008, 06:37 AM
Thats what makes me so cross, they will under cut us and put us out of business. I rely on after school kids because I only have one space for under 5's as it is one of my after school kids finishes this july and the child that was going to start in sep is now going to an new school.

One of the reasons I didn't go ahead with my after school plans is because they wanted me to sign an agreement about hiring the room and at £21 a night there was no way I could afford it, I wonder if they are going to be paying that, I know they don't in the other school they run from. Luckly one of the mums of my after school kids actually works at the club in the other school so I can find out some inside information. When I showed her the letter she tore it up and said don't worry my dd will still come to you I'm not having her sat it the school canteen for 2 1/2 hours a night.:clapping:

However new parents wont see it like that they will just see the price and convience of it being in the school.

Pipsqueak
08-05-2008, 06:43 AM
I feel for you Skeggy, all the local schools round here have "wrap around care" at massively reduced prices, there have been 4 new nurseries open up in my area of town and there are already 4 exisiting ones and the two CC's in my area offer wraparound as well:( All the childminders are struggling in our area - I don't know 1 who is full and there are several including me who has not had an enquiry for ages.

Time to go on the offensive pal - ask CIS/School if you can put a small flyer in each childs bag (in the interests of fairness and competition) failing that stand at the school gate and hand out leaflets! :D Update your CIS info reguarly and start advertising EVERYWHERE - perhaps do a leaflet drop in your area!

Good luck hun xxx

sarah707
08-05-2008, 06:53 AM
If it's any consolation, you're not the only one feeling forced out.

I just do not understand how we are supposed to be working with these people when they stab us in the back so many times...

Makes it very hard :(

Lincsminder
08-05-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm going to phone them later and ask how exactly they are complementing existing childcare.

sarah707
08-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Good idea!

Also your local council has to do an audit of existing childcare availability before allowing any new places...

You could ask about that as well :D