PDA

View Full Version : 8 seaters - special licence?

vix84
20-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Hiya, I think I got an email a while back about if you have an 8 or 9 seater car you may need a special licence? Cant find the email though,has anyone heard of this?

Im looking for a bigger car, have a Zafria but doing a school run and need to get a phil and teds in the boot whilst using all seats. Was looking for a renault grand espace but researching it there seems to be a big problem with the diesel turbo's blowing and costing £7k to fix,
Then looked at a previa, again a quick review search mentioned the turbo issue again ...... not sure if a petrol version would be a better option and still get an grand espace.

Anyone got any opinions on the best car with particular info on safety, reliability, cheap to fix but also able to fit a double buggy and get access to the boot seats without unpluging car seats in the middle row.
Looking to spend up to £4000 only though:panic:

barbarella68
20-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I have an 8 seater and I don't need a special licence, I find that a bit strange. Can you remember who you got the email from?

sarah707
20-08-2011, 08:13 PM
The situation has been clarified here -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=86572&highlight=taxi

Childminders do not need a special taxi licence to drive children.

Hth :D

vix84
20-08-2011, 08:18 PM
The situation has been clarified here -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=86572&highlight=taxi

Childminders do not need a special taxi licence to drive children.

Hth :D

Thanks so much for that, that opens a few more car option doors now!

christine e
21-08-2011, 06:28 AM
It is my understanding that you are ok with up to 8 passengers, if you have more than 8 then it all depends when you took your driving test, if you passed your test before 1997 you can drive a mini bus (9-16 passengers) on an ordinary licence provided it is not for hire or reward, if you passed your test after 1997 you have to take a mini bus test

Christine