PDA

View Full Version : when do you get your NCMA pack?

nikkiross1
20-08-2011, 08:26 AM
i had my pre-reg visit on wed and the ofsted woman said I don't have to register with NCMA as this will happen automatically and I will just revieve my pack with all the accident forms etc in the post - can anybody tell me if this is right? becuase i'm sure i've heard that i have to register with them myself????

Carol M
20-08-2011, 08:34 AM
What ???????
You can chose to become a member of the NCMA and purchace the paperwork.
I don't know what your OFSTED inspector is saying!!!!!
It would be lovely if NCMA provided all newly registered childminders with these expensive resources but I don't think so! There was another thread recently where an inspector had told the childminder a similar thing so I will raise it with the Chairperson of our regional NCMA committee!
Carol xx

nikkiross1
20-08-2011, 08:57 AM
ah ok!! i thought that was going to be lucky if i just didnt have to pay and got all this!! surely ofsted should be giving us the right information though as i could have just been waiting and waiting for the pack and never have got it!! so do i wait until i get my certificate and THEN join NCMA etc or should i do it before hand???

rickysmiths
20-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Before all the cuts by Local Early Years in some areas you did get an NCMA Tool Kit and a years Public Liability Insurance free as a new Childminder. These have long gone so you will have to get your own I'm afraid.

Here is the link to the shop:

http://www.shop.*************/

If you have the phone number for the company that your inspector came from? I would give them a quick call and tell them what the inspector told you and say this is incorrect. Ask if they could correct it and stop the inspectors giving out incorrect info.

IsabellaB
20-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I was given free membership with NCMA from my council back in February, however they did say they thought I would be one of the last ones. Maybe you are still lucky in your area, worth phoning the council to find out

Penny1959
20-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Hello

I am the chairperson of West Mids region that Carol M refers to.I am also ex local authourity staff and ex NCMA staff - so have a good idea what is correct information and what is not.

Carol is correct - another new cm was recently told the same - but NCMA have never provided free start up packs.

The information from Rickysmiths is also correct - some local authorities did used to provide start up packs via NCMA and /or MM. However very few do now. There are one or two who still do - BUT there are strings attached - such as training or joining their network. It is worth asking your LA - as you never know - but don't bank on it and put some money aside to pay for it yourself.

Penny :)

shazsull
20-08-2011, 12:05 PM
sutton did but alas no longer !!!i have to find some funds rather soon 1

nikkiross1
20-08-2011, 12:24 PM
righteo thanks for all your help!! i emailed my local authority a couple of weeks back and they said they don't fund for anything - so guess i'll have to fork out! im so glad i checked this as i would have literally just waited and waited for it!!!

Carrie1983
21-08-2011, 05:03 PM
You still do get the first year's free PL insurance etc in this area. I spoke to my EYSO on Weds last week and she said as soon as OfSTED have been to contact her asap and she will come out to sort out my start up grant and my insurance and to give me a start up pack. :/

Aside from that, I would expect to have to pay for any paperwork and membership to bodies like NCMA.

Penny1959
21-08-2011, 06:57 PM
You still do get the first year's free PL insurance etc in this area. I spoke to my EYSO on Weds last week and she said as soon as OfSTED have been to contact her asap and she will come out to sort out my start up grant and my insurance and to give me a start up pack. :/

Aside from that, I would expect to have to pay for any paperwork and membership to bodies like NCMA.

Hello Carrie

What area are you from? (just local authority area will do - no need to say town you are from)

Just interested so can advise others if there is funded available.

Also when you get the start up pack - would you mind letting me know who insurance is with and just what it is that you are getting in the start up pack - and finally if any strings attached - ie things you have to do.

Sorry so many questions but it is really useful for others to know - and for those like me who post information - so we get it right

Many thanks

Carrie1983
21-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi Penny,

I think the start up pack is a local authority thing rather than an insurance thing.

We get to choose whether we go with NCMA or MM - I intend to choose NCMA, having used MM as a nanny in the past.

My LA is Somerset, more specifically Taunton Deane. :)

Penny1959
22-08-2011, 05:38 AM
Hi Penny,

I think the start up pack is a local authority thing rather than an insurance thing.

We get to choose whether we go with NCMA or MM - I intend to choose NCMA, having used MM as a nanny in the past.

My LA is Somerset, more specifically Taunton Deane. :)

Thanks for the info Carrie - very useful. You are very lucky to still be able to get insurance paid for - and as a NCMA volunteer - I am delighted that you have decided to go with NCMA

Carrie1983
22-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Because I attended my info session and then did the ICP in the early part of 2010, I kept getting emails from my EYSO and in the email she sent in Feb this year, she said that basically she didn't know what funding she would still have beyond March 2011 so if we intended to register to get on with it now. I didn't actually send the forms until July 2011 so I thought I had missed out but it looks like I have been lucky and funding has continued here for now at least. We do have a shortage of minders in some of the areas here though.

xgemx
24-08-2011, 03:46 PM
My local council are going to be paying my 1st years insurance and i get to choose who i with its out of mm or another maybe they said ncma but i know i get my fire blanet and all my start up paper work, registers, complaint forms illness etc which im pleased about as it has cost me a few pound so far