PDA

View Full Version : 5am start

Debbieanne
18-08-2011, 12:31 PM
One of my mindees has been with me 2 and a half years he's 7 in a couple of weeks.he comes in at 6am, but mums job needs her to start earlier and that means she needs him to come in at 5m....... what would you all do?

Mamma4Ya
18-08-2011, 12:57 PM
OH my that is early :eek: I personally would not get up at 6am so 5am would be out of the question for me. I don't sleep much during the night so getting up too early would be a killer for me.

How do you feel about it do you think you will cope, it would be such a long day for you. Surley it is not fair on the child either having his sleep broken every day at that time.

miffy
18-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Gosh that would be way too early for me - might wake the rest of the household too.

Just a thought but if it's not every night what about getting registered for overnight care and having him stay over? At least you could all get up at a normal time!

Miffy xx

Debbieanne
18-08-2011, 01:05 PM
My last child goes at 6:30 so that will make my day 13.5 hours long. he's used to this routine as he was with a different minder before me and she had enough of the 6am start.

Mouse
18-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Personally, I think it's too early for a child to be out in the morning. What time would he have to be up? 4.30am? I know you say he's used to an early start, but that is way too early.

If I was the mum, I'd be looking for someone to come to the house and watch him for at least a couple of hours.

At the end of the day though, it's up to you. If you think you can cope with getting out of bed in the middle of the night (that's what it would seem like to me!), then go for it.

Just out of interest, is it every day?

Debbieanne
18-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Gosh that would be way too early for me - might wake the rest of the household too.

Just a thought but if it's not every night what about getting registered for overnight care and having him stay over? At least you could all get up at a normal time!

Miffy xx

he comes 5 days a week, school days and holidays, i feel as though he spends more time with me than his parents. he comes at 6am and goes at 4:30-5.
Think im going to have to give him up :(

Tinglesnark
18-08-2011, 01:11 PM
i think the overnight care sounds a good option. i couldnt do a 5 am start, that will mean you will need to be up at the latest 4.30am to make sure you are dressed...
unless you arrange to have a bed ready for lo and get mum to lift lo from their bed and transfer to the bed at yours...im not sure it will work though?

i would say no to the request im afraid because without a decent nights sleep, i am no use to anybody...

x

jane5
18-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I agree with everyone else that 5 am is too early especially 5 days a week :eek:

You would have to go to bed earlier on a regular basis and this will take time away from your family. I would say no to this request :(

marleymoo
18-08-2011, 02:26 PM
....hell no!

clio0602
18-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I couldn't do that early. I struggle with 7am starts x

jellytot
18-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't do it. I also wouldn't see overnight as an option if he is 5 days a week as that means he would be with you all week long!

messyplay
18-08-2011, 03:04 PM
I feel the same getting a child up that early is too much

Toothfairy
18-08-2011, 03:08 PM
5am is too early for me :eek:

I also feel 5am is far too early for the child too, it would mean the child getting up around 4/4.30 to be to you for 5am.
This may have an affect on their school work too if they are tired getting up that early everyday. Even if he went back to sleep on the sofa when he got to yours, it would be broken sleep.

The only way I would consider it, is with overnight care.

boxtree7
18-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't do 5.00 am starts - I do 6.30 am starts - its far to early and its 5 days a week.

Princess Sara
18-08-2011, 03:27 PM
I struggled with a 7am start so there's no way I could do a 5am start!!!

I would happily look after an lo overnight instead.

But, as others have said I also believe this is a ridiculous time for a child to have to be up and out of the house.

breezy
18-08-2011, 06:36 PM
I couldnt do it and sounds hard for the child too, as has been said is overnight an option?

Alibali
18-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Poor child, that's not fair, i'd refuse to do it for the childs sake, this certainly isn't meeting his needs getting him out of bed at that time!!

Chimps Childminding
18-08-2011, 08:38 PM
I couldn't do a 5 am start, I struggle to get up at 6.45 as it is :blush: I coud see the overnight being an option if it was only once or twice a week, but 5 times a week would mean he was more or less living with you :(

Would mum not be better getting a nanny? It is a lot to expect a child to be up at 4/4.30 and then do a full day at school - poor lad!!

Carrie1983
18-08-2011, 10:39 PM
For me personally, that would incur my overnight charge as this would disturb our family in more ways than one, and I would recommend she use the overnight as well, for the welfare of the child really!

Debbieanne
19-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Thank you people for all your replies.
I have told mum no, and we are now on a 4 week notice period, so thats that, had him nearly 3 years its a shame but i feel its too much for everyone involved.
Mum has told them at work and is going to do a late shift instead, and share childcare with hubby.
Much better and little one is happy because he knows his years of getting up at silly oclock will stop.:)
I'll be sad to loose him but happy that my 6am starts will stop too, and i'm not doing them again if asked :)

Chimps Childminding
19-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Sorry you have lost the lo, but I am sure in the long run it is best for both you, your family and the lo concerned!

Hope you manage to fill his space soon with someone wanting more reasonable hours!! :thumbsup:

angeldelight
19-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Sorry you lost the little one

Angel xx

onceinabluemoon
20-08-2011, 04:54 AM
Thank you people for all your replies.
I have told mum no, and we are now on a 4 week notice period, so thats that, had him nearly 3 years its a shame but i feel its too much for everyone involved.
Mum has told them at work and is going to do a late shift instead, and share childcare with hubby.
Much better and little one is happy because he knows his years of getting up at silly oclock will stop.:)
I'll be sad to loose him but happy that my 6am starts will stop too, and i'm not doing them again if asked :)

If she could do this why on earth didn't she do it in the first place instead of thinking about putting the child through getting up at 4.30 every day? Methinks her priorities are in the wrong place. :(

As for starting at 5am, no way, I start at 6.30 at the moment which means I'm in bed by 9pm most nights, not great for a family with teenagers.

marleymoo
20-08-2011, 08:22 AM
good for you!