PDA

View Full Version : Frequency of activities

snufflepuff
17-08-2011, 05:50 PM
How often do you carry out planned activites for children who only attend one day a week?

My individual planning sheets allow for one activity per week which has always been fine because other mindees have attended 3 days per week. But i'm just not managing to do a planned activity each week for my one day a week mindees (siblings) because they come on my busiest day- I just can't fit it all in around naps, nappy changes, feeding etc! They have access to all the resources and play happily.......I just don't manage to do much in the way of a proper planned activity based on their interests.

I was thinking of perhaps coming up with a different planning sheet for these children with space for one activity a month instead, and I can do a full observation of that activity to go with it (I do lots of little post it note observations too, and take photographs) Would that be okay?

ChocolateChip
17-08-2011, 06:15 PM
I was going to say one a month.
As you say you are also using post its and spontaneous obs, so as long as you are showing next steps and progression it should be fine.
Only so much you can do with one day a week!

blue bear
18-08-2011, 02:41 PM
I do pretty much the sane with my lo's who do one 4 hour session a week. Most of the time learning is led by them and I pop in a more structure adult led activity once a month ish.

sarah707
18-08-2011, 05:15 PM
You should be thinking in terms of a mixture of adult led and child initiated rather than setting something up the children have to do.

Depending on the age of the children you could plan a series of activities around say a book they like, with puppets, songs etc.

That's your adult led planning - to read the book, set up the play area and sit back and see how the children access everything. If they ask you to play or their play goes in a different direction then you document that later.

Same if you plan a cookery session with the children - if things go in a different direction you can note it later.

Hth :D