PDA

View Full Version : A Very Messy Business!

childcareexpo
17-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Today we’ve been exploring what messy play is for practitioners working within the early years sector.

Messy play encourages children to become little scientists, exploring new mediums, textures, weights, consistencies and properties. It allows children opportunities for social and emotional development, communication, language and literacy, mathematical development, knowledge and understanding of the world, physical and creative development. It is in fact a vital part of childhood.

Messy play is an open ended activity where children can explore play independently or in a group. It is a great way to introduce someone new to a well established group of children, they immediately become involved, sharing their experiences and getting to know each other. It’s a great inclusive activity.

Messy play options include using natural resources such as wood, sand and gravel or food stuffs such as spaghetti or beans.

Practitioners can engage with children and ask them open ended questions, e.g. ‘What happens when we do this?’ ‘Why did that happen?’ Such activities help to develop enquiring minds. It is useful to record what happens during messy play either through writing, photography or video. Parents enjoy seeing the photographs of their children having fun with these various messy activities.

Messy play is an essential part of a child’s development. Its importance is underlined in the EYFS document and the benefits are huge!

Let us know what you think about messy play and we’d love to hear about what messy play activities you get up to in your setting!

Kimberley :)

Visit our blog for more information. (http://www.childcareexpo.co.uk/m-blog/view/a-very-messy-business(821).htm)

sarah707
17-08-2011, 08:53 PM
We went to a messy play session at the local Children's Centre a few weeks ago.

I took 3 children aged 2, 4 and 6... the 2 year old was totally freaked! He didn't like getting messy at all and went rigid when asked to wear an apron. He usually likes painting and finger splodging but he couldn't cope with the textures I think he was overwhelmed with it all.

The 4 and 6 year olds spent the session collecting lots of different messy play resources together to make a magic potion. They got covered in slime and mum was seriously unimpressed when she came to collect them later... but they had a wonderful time!

It's not just the children we have to teach about the benefits of things like this... it's the parents as well!

:D

karensmart4
18-08-2011, 01:46 PM
We love messy play (my husband isn't too keen on the mess it might make in our house or garden but tuff) :D

The children love .. * Shaving foam play,
* Compost
* Wet sand
* Wet sand with bubble mix added = Silky Sand
* Jelly
* Gloop (but don't add food colouring, we looked like smurfs)

I used to make purfume when I was a child, an old container and flower petals mixed with water :)

childcareexpo
24-08-2011, 01:40 PM
That sounds like fun Sarah! You do hear stories of parents these days who are scared to let their children get messy! I think it's strange as some of my foundest childhood memories are of getting muddy or making big pictures with pasta, glue and scissors and whatever else I could find!

Karen wet sand and bubble mix sounds an interesting combination!! I love the idea of making perfume with flower petals mixed with water it makes you feel so grown up as a child!

Polly2
24-08-2011, 02:40 PM
We love messy play!

Our favs:

jelly
cooked spagetti
rice crispies
shaving foam and pva glue - good to play with and dries to make 3d pics

But most of all the kids just love experimenting with water :thumbsup:

The Juggler
24-08-2011, 09:09 PM
we love messy play. some structured activities or just mud pies and digging in the garden or in the sand.

my parents have all been fab, they expect their children home dirty. I've never had to educate a parent yet.

Had one child who hated aprons but wasn't afraid of gettng dirty. Got round it by putting a big old t-shirt on him and he was happy.

There is so much learning, maths, sensory, social, problems solving, learning about nature. love it, love it, love it.

Ooh and cornflour, did I mention i love that.:laughing: :laughing:

sillysausage
24-08-2011, 09:15 PM
the old saying 'a mucky child is a happy child' says it all. Messy play rules!!!

SYLVIA
24-08-2011, 09:20 PM
That sounds like fun Sarah! You do hear stories of parents these days who are scared to let their children get messy! I think it's strange as some of my foundest childhood memories are of getting muddy or making big pictures with pasta, glue and scissors and whatever else I could find!

Karen wet sand and bubble mix sounds an interesting combination!! I love the idea of making perfume with flower petals mixed with water it makes you feel so grown up as a child!

How true about not letting kids get messy! on a really hot day, at pick up time from school, one mum asked cheerfully if everyone had the paddling pools out ready to cool the LO's down. Another mum got very worked up and said that she didn't do mess and that her children were not allowed to get dirty! Poor things

childcareexpo
31-08-2011, 07:52 AM
How true about not letting kids get messy! on a really hot day, at pick up time from school, one mum asked cheerfully if everyone had the paddling pools out ready to cool the LO's down. Another mum got very worked up and said that she didn't do mess and that her children were not allowed to get dirty! Poor things

Poor Things indeed Sylvia! Paddling pools are great for a warm summers day!