PDA

View Full Version : OMG!!!! Are you watching....

rickysmiths
16-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Fast Food Baby on BBC1?

An 18mth old drinking 5 cans of cola a day and another consuming over 3000 calories a day? :eek: :eek: He loves chips with lots of salt!!! Mum never cooks the family live on only take aways.

One child who eats sitting on the sofa watching TV while the parents sit at the table.

Optimalstar
17-08-2011, 06:31 AM
No missed it.

Why were they giving an 18month old coke?

Mamma4Ya
17-08-2011, 06:34 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: I didn't see it but that is shocking, surely that is either abuse or neglect! It makes me mad. :mad:

miffy
17-08-2011, 06:36 AM
I didn't see it either.

What was the reason for the programme - were they wanting help with their diets?:rolleyes:

Miffy xx

JCrakers
17-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Didnt see it but can imagine it now.....

The over eating and drinkng cola is surely abuse. If you leave a child to starve you would be in a lot of trouble but giving an 18m old coke is just as bad..overweight, tooth decay, etc etc

Becky

onceinabluemoon
17-08-2011, 06:52 AM
I saw this when it was on before, quite horrifying. As usual it was just a case of teaching the parents to parent though :rolleyes:

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
17-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I saw some of it but fell asleep but it was shocking to see some of it. I have a problem with my dd2 eating but she does not have fast food, I don't know how that one from Cardiff affords take aways all the time.

My dd2 doesn't like to sit and eat a meal (don't get me wrong she will) but she likes to graze all day and it is healthy things she eats, just not sure what is going to happen when she starts nursery next month.

There is no way I would give an 18 month old coke just think what it is doing to the childs teeth.

jane5
17-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I saw it and it is shocking :eek:

My new mindee aged 3 has the same diet and he is now slowly accepting that I will not give him McDonalds and coke. At first he would eat nothing that I gave him and would go all day 7.30 - 6.30 only eating 1/2 a banana and a couple of bites of a sandwich. He is now starting to eat my food and likes cottage pie and lasagne which at first he would not even put it in his mouth.

And the mum who would not cook because she didnt like the mess in her kitchen :panic: Those poor kids

rickysmiths
17-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I liked the parents who lived over the chippy and popped down for a small cod and chips with salt added for the 18mth old who wouldn't eat their dinner. :eek:

Yes the idea was that guidance and education was given to the parents. Having said that there was a teen mum who never cooked who went to a kind of day centre for cooking lessons. She learnt how to make pizza using a shop bought base, tomato puree as the tomato base not cooked up tomatoes and onions with herbs made fresh veg! Or maybe a homemade cottage pie packed with fresh veg.

The tooth decay thing did come up and they took the coke drinking toddler to the dentist for the first time. The dentist showed the mum the damage that was begining to set in and very graphic photos of where he could end up. It scared her for about a day!

One takeaway every night family made progess, the one with the mum who didn't like to get her kitchen dirty (:laughing: ), mum made a casserole and the baby wolfed it down but the dad kept buying the kids takeaway and cakes when they were out :angry:

cherry
17-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Here's the link, I'll watch it tonight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b010y763/Fast_Food_Baby/

tinkerbelle
17-08-2011, 01:42 PM
my kids have a takeaway once a week mainly saturday night with cola if thats what they want but the rest of the week its water milk squash and home cooked meals my 8 month old baby also joins in with the takeaway and will have a few chips with fishcake but obviously not cola
i do have a mindee tho that wont eat anything unless its fried or ready meals at home but will gladly eat what i cook here as long as shes fed i do feel sorry for her cos as soon as she gets home shes sat in front of a bowl of chips every night

Stormy
17-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I watched, was rooted to the tv, so late to bed for me, I was so shocked, I thought I had seen most things but to see a child so small drink coke and for a parent to be so blase' about it.........words fail me :(
In this day and age there is so much literature and information about suitable diets for kids, its not ignorance just pure laziness and clueless in how to parent. :angry:

georgie456
17-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Glad I missed this :( :( I think it IS abuse. How can it not be? These parents are neglecting their children's health.
There is a 3 yr old boy that lives in my road that is so overweight he can't physically run :( He wears clothes for a 7 year old and it breaks my heart every tiime I see him. His parents are lovely people deep down but use the age old excuse of "he won't eat anything else" as their justification for endless trips to McDonalds. How people can allow their children to be in that state by the age of 3 is beyond me.

ChocolateChip
17-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Was too late for me last night but either I've seen it before or seen a similar programme as just checked the link, thanks cherry!

Couldn't believe the amount of chips they gave that little boy, more than I would eat and believe me I love my food and am a size 16 so definitely not Kate Moss portions for me, lol!
Like many other things, parents are for some reason too scared to be in charge of their kids and give in to them. I think that perhaps they should be up for neglect, then they might realise that they have responsibilities as parents. Ignorance is no excuse these days, the support and advice is there and parents should be using it, children are too precious to be blase about.

Twinkle-Toes
17-08-2011, 05:41 PM
My sil is like this and puts me in quite an awkward situation both as a family member and a childminder!!

My youngest niece is only just 18 months and she 'loves' coke....has chocolate for breakfast, crisps for dinner and chips for tea.

I've told her I can (grudgingly) turn a blind eye as an aunty but when I officially begin childminding her things will need to change, she certainly doesn't get anything like it in my house and surprise surprise...she wolfs the lot down!

watgem
18-08-2011, 06:13 PM
My Ofsted inspector told me in March that she'd inspected a minder who cared for a baby whose mum left pureed maccy d's for it to eat!

venus89
19-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I think that a lot of these parents think they're doing the right thing, they come up against the child saying they don't like this, that or the other so offer them an alternative. Child learns that if they refuse foods they get something they prefer instead. Parents are worried because they want the child to eat, so you get a viscious cycle in which the child is very definately the boss and pulling the strings.

My 4 yo mindee came in today, needs another 4 fillings, already had one. I said to her and Mum, it's the drinks -dentist has said the same. She 'won't drink' water for Mum, so she has squash all day every day, or capri sun, or fruit shoot.... She drinks water absolutely fine here, she has no real issues with water, she's just playing Mum. She's off to school soon, mum said 'will they let her have squash?'. I told her if she gives water to LO from the start at school then LO will be fine. 5 fillings before she's 5 :( It makes me so cross, it's so unnecessary

AliceK
19-08-2011, 02:49 PM
My Ofsted inspector told me in March that she'd inspected a minder who cared for a baby whose mum left pureed maccy d's for it to eat!

That is just gross :eek:

Surely the childminder should refuse to give the child that?

xxxx