View Full Version : permission fron council?

little miss hopefull
07-05-2008, 05:58 PM
do you have to get permission to work from home as a childminder from the local council?

lisa x

07-05-2008, 06:13 PM
I did. I telephoned them to get confirmation of how many children I could have and then got them to put it in writing. luckily my council allows 6 children inc. any of my own, but some councils only allow 4.

07-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Not quite sure I understand the question Lisa.

Do you live in council accomadation and asking if you have to have their permission to mind in the property?

If so....you should really advise them that is what you are planning to do

little miss hopefull
07-05-2008, 06:21 PM
i was wondering if you had to let anyone know that you are running a buisness from home? even if you own your own home. just curious as what everyone else has done?


lisa x

07-05-2008, 06:33 PM
If it's your own home then you need to tell your mortgage company who might charge you extra for running a business from home and your insurance company who might charge you more or take away the 'accidental damage' clause on your policy and check the deeds - some state the house cannot be used for a business.

Obviously all companies are different and those are worst case scenarios.

Good luck! :D

little miss hopefull
07-05-2008, 06:35 PM
thanks everyone. will do.

lisa xxxxx

07-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I never told anyone! well apart from tax man :blush:

07-05-2008, 08:28 PM
I tried to tell the council but they weren't interested!! My husband works there and they charge you for advise for everything now so I didn't take it any further! If you just want to ask if you need planning permission now, they charge you £50 for a yes or no!!!! Blood sucking :censored: 's.....

07-05-2008, 09:01 PM
On the pre-reg briefing the CSSIW gave out a form to be sent to the local council to confirm that no planning permission was needed. The reply had to be sent back with the application forms in the portfolio. I am not sure if this was just in Carmarthenshire, other areas of Wales may be different the CSSIW will let you know at the breifing session after you move.

It didn't cost anything to get a reply from the council.

07-05-2008, 10:11 PM
it was on my pre-reg briefing that I was told we needed permission from the council even though my home is privately owned.