PDA

View Full Version : Ratios help!

Carrie1983
16-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Just seen that my childminder is registered for a total of 5 under 8s, with no more than 2 under 5s in those 5. Her house is very small so I am guessing that would be why.

I am soon to be registered so don't know what OfSTED will allow me yet, but I have a much bigger house so hopefully the full 6 under 8s, with 3 under 5 as one of my under 5s is my daughter!

So my two new mindees are as follows:
20 month old who will be here 7-330x4 days and 7-6x1 day;
Her brother who is 5 in December but starts school in September. So he is technically still in the EY bracket as he is 4.5yrs. He will be here 7-9x4 days and 3-6x1 day.

I've read the stuff about a 4/5 year old being in ft education and that if they are I can discount them from my EY ratios. Hope you are following.

Say OfSTED were to allow me to have 6 under 8s with no more than 3 being under 5 (1 under 1). My daughter will be 17 months, mindee one is 20 months and mindee two is 4.5 but in full time school, could I still take on another pre-schooler or under 1? Or does this mean my EY is full? Especially as I will have the 4yo in holidays full time. And when he's 5, does he then leave the EY bracket, or does he stay in it until he enters year one at school?

And when OfSTED give you your allowance, it includes your own children in that, doesn't it? If I only get registered for two under fives, and the 4.5yo is counted in that when he is here in school holidays, I'm stuffed because obviously my daughter counts in my ratios whether she is here or not! Would need to ask for a variation...

Goatgirl
16-08-2011, 02:41 PM
sorry, posted this twice somehow :rolleyes:

Goatgirl
16-08-2011, 02:41 PM
HI :),
Early Years lasts up until the 31st August after a child is 5, so until they start year 1.

For the purpose of ratios a child counts in your under 5's until they start full time school :)

Your own children will not be mentioned on your certificate : I think it will state how many under what age you can have etc, which, if you have one under 5 yourself, will probably be 2, to bring it up to the 3 under 5, one of whom can be under 1 :thumbsup:

Hope that makes sense :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Bananabrain
16-08-2011, 03:08 PM
I have a similar situation. I have 2 mindees of 4 and a half due to start full-time school in September. One is 5 in September and the other in Jan. I spoke to Ofsted just so I had it straight in my head!
They said for ratio purposes you have to wait until children are doing 10 sessions a week until they are classed as in the next age group.
I.e. they are both starting in Sept, but for the first few weeks they will only do mornings. So I can't take on any younger ones until 3 weeks into September.
I think I have some new little ones lined up for the end of Sept. Hopefully they will pan out. If they don't, I'm in trouble as everyone will have sorted their childcare by then.
Hubs said that I should flout the rules for a few weeks, as 'everyone else does it'
I will stick to the rules though. I know lots of childminders who flout the rules and it makes me cross, but I'm not going to sink to their level.
Plus the fact that knowing my luck, I will get in trouble:laughing:

miffy
16-08-2011, 04:37 PM
As long as the 4 yo is attending school full time then he can count in your 5 -8 year olds - you will need a special clause on your certificate to cover this which Ofsted should be able to sort out when they do your pre-reg visit.

Miffy xx