PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Childminding?

Ren
07-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Hello,

I'm a University student in the Buckinghamshire area, and am currently doing a project about the opinions of childminders about their jobs, what you love, and what you hate.

This is about trying to find real insights into what people don't realise about your jobs, and how you feel.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ren

sarah707
07-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Why not have a look through this thread - it might give you some starting points. :D

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8645

John
07-05-2008, 06:42 PM
You can't go far wrong if you read the posts in the forums, and you will problerly find more information than reading peoples few on this thread:)

John.

Pipsqueak
07-05-2008, 06:49 PM
ooh blimey Ren you are opening a can of worms here!!! lol

OK the positives of being a Childminder

You are your own boss
You are home for your family
Not many jobs where you can say you have played as part of your job
Seeing the sheer delight and wonder in a childs eyes
Knowing you have made a difference to that child / family
Having the scope to change your day according to the weather/whim etc

The "Downside"
Being your own boss (tax returns, own accounts, administration),
No particular job security
The pay!! (and conditions at times)
Ofsted forever changing/moving the goalposts (sometimes without letting you know) and the no pleasing some/different inspectors
Parents (clients) and the hoops we sometimes have to jump through

These are some overall basic of the top of my head things.

There will be lots more people on here who will have their bits to add and you will have TONS.

Little Known facts about childminders:

Our inspections are tougher than a schools!
In the main many of us are highly committed, dedicated childcare professionals equal to nursery workers with much training (done in our own spare time and often paid for out of our own pockets) under our belts.
Many are Level 3 qualified and above (a nursery worker only has to be Level 2 trained) - Level 3 is management equivelent
We have to follow stringent Standards and many many minders go over and above our remit of "childminder" and many many of us exceed the Standards as laid out by Ofsted.
We make our own Policies and Procedures to within guidelines of Standards and Best Practice.

We get very offended when compared with "babysitters", people who "just look after children" and get very cross when the media portray people as "childminders" when in fact they are nothing of the sort.

You may well be a parent BUT not everyone is cut out to be a Registered Childminder. It is a mentally tough job, physically exhausting but very rewarding and tons of fun.

We do a lot of work - our admin in the evenings!

PS This Forum is a cracking place for rest, relaxation, fun, and shoulders!!!

Ren
07-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Thank you for your informative responses so far!
I'll keep searching around the forums. :)
I appreciate this a lot.

sarah707
07-05-2008, 07:19 PM
You are very welcome!

I remember being a student... we didn't have all this internet lark in those days :eek: :laughing:

Kt_lou20
08-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Damit Ren!!!
You beat me to it lol! Posted a note today after i couldnt find yours feeling smug and then everyone posts back saying you already asked!! GRRR:mad:

Do you mind if i use some of the answers on here?? I can always help you out with stuff i have found out too!

Kt

Ren
14-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Would it be possible for anyone to supply a sample of their policies?
I'd like to see how they look, to write my manifesto in the style of one.
Any help would be great.

Blaze
14-05-2008, 04:26 PM
I would take a look at:

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/policies/policies_and_procedures.html

..for an idea on policies.:)

Rubybubbles
14-05-2008, 06:30 PM
just to say I ehco what everyone else said:D

good luck on your project

angeldelight
15-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Good luck

Angel xx

ajs
15-05-2008, 09:19 AM
yes good luck from me too

would it be possible to see a copy of your manifesto before you submit it though

it would be interesting to see an outsiders view of our job.

to add to pipsqueak
there aren't many jobs that if the weather is good we just move outside and replan our activities.
we can take the kids on outings if we feel like it although we still need to fill in reams of paperwork ie parental permission forms and risk assessments.

it's a great job if only ofsted would let us just get on with it.

what we don't do, despite the popular belief that we do, is sit and eat chocolate biscuits and drink cups of tea with our feet up, while the children run riot around us.

sarah707
15-05-2008, 09:55 AM
what we don't do, despite the popular belief that we do, is sit and eat chocolate biscuits and drink cups of tea with our feet up, while the children run riot around us.

It would be great to have the time! :laughing: :laughing:

Twinkles
15-05-2008, 12:10 PM

We don't ? :eek: :eek: oh bu**er

crazybones
15-05-2008, 12:20 PM

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

ajs
15-05-2008, 12:26 PM
well that's what i tell my hubby anyway:laughing:

miffy
15-05-2008, 12:32 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: