PDA

View Full Version : Had to use my first aid training for the first time!

Katiekoo
15-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I was leaving Sainsbury's and there was a small child flopped in Dad's arms. When I saw it was a child I said to my family that I should probably help. I was so nervous, I said to my huband 'what if it's something I don't know about', I was thinking 'what if I don't remember anything!'.
I went over and tried not to show the Dad that I was nervous, he was visibly concerned. The child was 10 months old and it seemed she'd had a seizure having visited the doctor for a rash earlier, ambulance on the way, store first aider on the phone to emergency services. I asked lots of questions and was surprised how much I knew and how calm I became once I got started. The first responder came along really quickly thank goodness and I left them to it.

BUT I will be reading up and reviewing my training notes to make sure I'm up to date and confident. I was shaking afterwards and came out in worry rash. I hope I never have to use my training again. It is a huge responsibility to have this training. Love to all, keep safe.

khlwomitchell
15-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Well done!

Cuts and blood i'm good with but stuff like that i have no idea!

But i think if you can calm the parent and ease the pressure of other first aides it always helps.
I have so far been just behind a car coming off the road, one on it's side! i just calmed them down and called emergency servies. The adrennaline rush had me shaking afterwards for ages. Kids thought it was great and oldest (5) got a good lecture on driving too fast, and look what happens!

SammyM
15-08-2011, 09:10 PM
That's fabulous, well done you!!!

vanessawilliams
15-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Well done you ! I went for EpiPen training today - all a lbit scarry but better to be prepared though.:clapping: