PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk With Under 5s

Tatia
07-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I've signed up to do this course over 6 weeks, Wednesday afternoons from 1-3pm. Had the first one today and it was fantastic. It was an overview of what we'll be learning but so informative and fun. We discussed communicating with children and how to go about it but each of the components will be brokn down over the next 5 weeks. And best of all, if I do the coursework, I'll receive certification at Level 1 for it, too. I love certificates.:blush:

I signed up because I have a mindee who will be 3 in July and I am worried about his language development. I want to figure out how to help him but also want to know if there is a delay or if he's just pottering along at his own pace, within accepted time frame. I'm afraid I migh be comparing him unfairly to my DD, who was orating speeches and waxing poetical at that age.:rolleyes:

Her's course description: http://www.learning2talk.co.uk/index_files/Page514.htm

breezy
07-05-2008, 04:40 PM
sounds like a good idea it's hard not to compare kids development isnt it?

sarah707
07-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Sounds like an excellent idea for a course... hoping for lots of feedback! :D

crazybones
07-05-2008, 05:38 PM
That sounds very interesting Tatia. I have the same problem as mindees mum compares my sons speech with her son. I keep telling her that she will be sorry she complained soon enough when all the questions start. :laughing: He is getting so much better but talks the most wonderful gibberish with the most earnest face, it is so sweet to watch but we get there in the end and I actually understand some of it now. I wish I could sign with him but think its too late now as he leaves in 2 months. I am definitely going to learn though.

Tatia
07-05-2008, 07:06 PM
The very coolest thing is there is a different chart for ages 9 months, 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 with milestones to look for (such as for the 4 1/2 yo - beginning to love a good joke - that sort of thing) that makes it very easy to understand as the course was written with parents as well as practitioners in mind so is in layman terms. I'd be happy to give more feedback except I left my paperwork behind today and have to pick it up tomorrow.:rolleyes: I'm going to use the checklist for a formal observation of my nearly 3 yo mindee to assess where he is at. You use it to see what they can definitely do, what skills are emerging and test right up to what they definitely cannot do, so you have a clear cut off point. And then the chart offers suggestions and stuff. I'm peeved that I forgot it, actually.

Also an interesting fact about the way we pronounce the letter S. Apparently, there are 2 ways to do it. So now I'm off to start a poll to see who does it which way. Just for curiousity's sake.:D

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks Tatia that sounds interesting

Angel xx

katickles
07-05-2008, 08:04 PM
That sound like a really really interesting course, think i'll have a nose in my workforce training brochure now :D

jaja
07-05-2008, 08:11 PM
that sounds good, i wonder if they are doing the courses in my area xx