PDA

View Full Version : hand foot and mouth virus

coffee-time
15-08-2011, 06:50 PM
one of my mindees has hand foot and mouth virus, mum text me today to let me know and that he wont be with me this week (weds-fri) but his older sister is fine so she will send her to me still, would you take the sister or do you think i should ask for her to stay at home just incase?
i was going to have her but someone else has mentioned that maybe i shouldnt, what would you do?
thanks.

blue bear
15-08-2011, 06:54 PM
I dont see how you can exclude a child that is well just in case. Lots of children don't contract illnesses siblings have but then again lots do..

khlwomitchell
15-08-2011, 06:57 PM
I am so unfussed and only have my kids to pass on to i'd have both anyhow.
I think that you could but keep an eye out for spots or soreness.
my three have had it and never been that bad. your call?!

coffee-time
15-08-2011, 07:52 PM
thanks, i didnt even think about it until a friend said maybe i shouldnt have her, ive got a nine month old i look after aswell so she was thinking of him but after reading online about h.f.m it doesnt seem that bad a virus! none of my 3 have ever had it so didnt really know much about it, (i do now)!
thanks again!

pinkbutterfly
15-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Mindee had it 3 weeks ago and I didn't realise. He only had a couple of spots on his hands and feet but I thought since he runs around bare foot in my garden that maybe he stepped on something. He was a bit off his normal self for a couple of days ... didn't want to play or eat but I kept checking for temperature as I couldn't really refuse to have him.
3 days later my son had it but it was full on spots ... couldn't miss them. Only then I cottoned on that actually mindee brought it. But he was well in himself.
All my kids had it last year and even I caught it then and I tell you the blisters on my feet were horrendous ... I could barely walk.
I've read up on exclusion times and it says we can have the child back as soon as they feel well ...

coffee-time
15-08-2011, 09:10 PM
little one's mum said he is ok in himself but not sleeping or eating much, (he's only 13 months) she had already decided to keep him home, i'd better let my other mindee's mum know about it too.
checked my policy it says keep home until feeling well, at least ive got that right!

marleymoo
16-08-2011, 12:22 PM
should really wait until spots/sores dry over and so long as child is feeling well, let them back then. i would not exclude sibling unless have symptoms though