PDA

View Full Version : What shall I do...?

hbomb1
07-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi all,

I have a got a parent visiting me in the morning - she was referred to me in the school playground earlier this week. She is wanting care for her little boy four days a week for just 2½ hours per day 1.00 - 3.30pm.

Since arranging this appointment however, I received a call last night from a lady who is moving to the area and looking for full time care for her 3-year old boy, four days a week 9-5.30. She is visiting me on Monday.

I don't know what to do. I have one vacancy for a under 5-year old. The full time would be more money, however from speaking with the mum I sort of got the impression she really didn't know what she wanted. She mentioned that he currently attends nursery on the free government funded place and had tried to get him into the local school here but there are no places. She asked me if I am able to provide education for him (I am not an accredited minder so cannot). I got confused then as I thought he was in nursery school as part of a primary school, but she said that he doesn't start school until next year. I explained that I had a lady visiting me Thursday and that I only have one vacancy for under five. She then said she would visit me Monday if that okay. I agreed.

What if the lady that visits me tomorrow wants to sign up there and then (I know she is returning to work on Tuesday)? I am worried that if I turn her down and take on the full timer, she will bad mouth me to other parents at school (she is there every morning), but then there is no guarantee the full time boy will go ahead. First impressions of the full time parent didn't fill me with confidence.

Although I am now fully registered, I would like to take things easy until September when my DS starts full time school, so may be it would be better for me to take the 2½ hours child until September.

Sorry for long post....I made so many errors when I started CM in 2005 (which is partly why I resigned) that I don't want to make a mistake again.

What shall I do? :panic:

Bevbeetle
07-05-2008, 03:15 PM
i would see both sets of parents tell them both you need time to think about it also give them to decide as well ! if you want to take it easy until Sep tell the parent im sure they would rather you be honest. It so hard sometimes to make the decision, also do it on a months trial:)

Banana
07-05-2008, 03:20 PM
I would also see both parents, you arent obligated to sign contracts on the day so meet them both, tell each of them you need an answer by say monday as you have someone else interested in the space and will let them have it should they not wish to take it - that way you have given them time to think and yourself and not only that but if they both get back to you on monday then you get to choose what you are happiest with.

Thats how I would do it anyway

good luck

x

twinkle3005
07-05-2008, 03:22 PM
If you do take on the part timer for 2.5 hours then charge for a half day session and not just for the hours you have the child as they are taking up a half day place. As already suggested see both parents, have a think and go with what feels best for you. Good luck.

hbomb1
07-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Thank you for your advice - it's so good to have this forum :D

I spoke briefly with the part time parent in the school playground earlier this week and she asked what I charged and I told her. So, if I did take this part timer, am I okay to say that I will now charge a higher rate?

Banana
07-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Thank you for your advice - it's so good to have this forum :D

I spoke briefly with the part time parent in the school playground earlier this week and she asked what I charged and I told her. So, if I did take this part timer, am I okay to say that I will now charge a higher rate?

what exactly did you say?

she might think you are at it if you have already told her one price - did you just say how much it was an hour or did you discuss what you would charge her specifically?

x

hbomb1
07-05-2008, 03:39 PM
She simply asked what I charged and I told her my hourly rate. She then explained the hours and days and that her father would be at school for handover at 3.30. I then said she is best visiting me at home as the school bell had just rung and I was attending to DS.

I suppose as I have given her my hourly rate I should charge just that. Another mistake - I should have just said it depends on your hours, shouldn't I? :(

Blaze
07-05-2008, 03:45 PM
I think you are fine to still charge the sessional fee, as you quoted your hourly rate before you had specifics & when you had specifics you told her to see you at your home....good luck with whomever you go with!:)

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Agree with the others just wanted to say good luck

Angel xx

hbomb1
07-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks girls. :)

breezy
07-05-2008, 05:09 PM
you've been given good advice, however if you're thinking of starting off slowly remember the 6 weeks hols come up soon, could be hard work if you dont book time off! Good luck whatever you decide:thumbsup:

mum22
07-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I always tell parents that i have someone else coming to see - gives me a get out clause in case i dont like them when they come around.

x helen

Alibali
07-05-2008, 06:01 PM
I would advise you to think about the long term also, if you take on lo for 2 1/2 hours it will block a full time space, and in the future it wouldn't be fair to give notice to part timer if you needed to fill full time space iyswim. Go with gut instinct, see both parents and let them both know you need time to think it through, they can choose and so can you.

Hope all goes well.

Ali x

charleyfarley
07-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Good luck for the visits

Whichever one you choose hope it's right for you

Carol xx