PDA

View Full Version : story sack course?

louise
07-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi, The church where my son goes to preschool has also become a childrens centre. It has only just opened. Not quite sure what else they do but a cm group has just started which is great.

Today we got given a letter for a story sack course for parents. Now this course is 12 hours long i didn't think they would need that long. Is it worth going to? It runs over 5 weeks 1-3.30 they have a creche. Would my mindee be able to go in with permission. I know it ok if it is a cm course which technically it isn't but i wouldn't of gone if it wasn't for being a cm.

So would it be worth it? Also my EYFS obs course is running at the same time in the evening.
Thank Lou

brillminder
07-05-2008, 05:34 PM
try if if no good you can always leave and make an excuse :) try it and see

sarah707
07-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I have made up story sacks and I enjoy using them with the children...

Not sure how they will fill 12 hours though... hopefully with some nice free resources!

I would do the first few and see how you get on ... nothing ventured and all that! :D

Tatia
07-05-2008, 06:59 PM
I love story sacks. I'd love to attend a training although, like Sarah said, not sure how it could be 12 hours long? Still, I'd jump at a chance to attend. Let us know all the fab ideas if you do go on the course!

louise
07-05-2008, 07:24 PM
I'd love to know how its 12 hour long which is partly why im not that keen. I don't know if they will give us anything. letter says
On the course you will
find out how to use a story sack with children
choose books for a story sack, plan and make the contents
make language or reading games to go in the sacks
find out how to select and use non-fiction books with children
get ideas for making story sacks at home with everyday objects

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 07:44 PM
I think it sounds interesting Louise

Go for it and let us know how it goes

Angel xx

louise
07-05-2008, 07:48 PM
i might do i will have a numb brain. This and my eyfs course on the same day. So Ofsted will be fine with my mindee going in the creche which im guessing will be run by members of the preschool.

tulip0803
07-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I have done a story sack workshop which was 3 hours long and great. At the course I am doing now I have watched a video of a parents story sack course and it explains how parents read wrongly to their children. How they really should read and how to bring stories alive. If it is 12 hours long it probably also explains how to make them. I got a certificate at the end of mine (in fact I have done it twice) so hopefully you would get something for the portfolio. If it is the same type of course as I saw on the video it looks great fun.

Try it story sacks are great.

miffy
07-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I'd love to do something like that - perhaps not 12 hours though

Give it a try - hope you enjoy it

miffy xx

Tatia
08-05-2008, 06:54 AM
One of my mindees is going into a creche (with my daughter) at children's centre for 2 hours on a Wednesday for the next 6 weeks. Well, it's really only 2 Wednesdays as 2 out 3 weeks, his Mum has Wednesdays off. Anyway, I discussed it with his mother and with my network coordinator because I signed up for this course specifically for his benefit. And he's only on the other side of the room divider away from me, too.:)

louise
08-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Well i wont be going as mindees mum wasn't keen on me using the creche. Even though my son will be with him and it will be run by my son and her sons future preschool. It really suprised me as normally shes ok with things. It might be the length that it goes on for. I dont know.

angeldelight
08-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Thats a shame Louise

Angel xx

SimplyLucy
08-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Thats a real shame Louise, sounds like it would have been a really nice course. :(

brillminder
31-05-2008, 04:50 PM
real shame as they would have benifited story sacgs/ thems bags are a fab idea :)

christine e
31-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I'd love to do something like that - perhaps not 12 hours though

Give it a try - hope you enjoy it

miffy xx

You could always suggest that your County Assoc put on this training for you if you attend AGM this year put it forward then cos that is when we start planning for 2009. If I get opportunity and remember I will mention at next meeting (Sept)

Cx

brillminder
31-05-2008, 05:57 PM
i saw Neil Griffiths once and he was very inspiring, but now he would cost loads of money to have but a fab idea to ask to get another session etc put on ,
i have about 20 + bags and now make my own bags with transers on the front of book or characters etc , pm if any one wants any :) i have sold some to 2 local nurserys, and lots of friends Childminders too and recently meet the author John Bush and he want one with his book on the front :)
Loads of info about story bags / sack on internet if you google it for ideas

mrsb
31-05-2008, 07:00 PM
I recently went to a childminding conference and they did a 2 hours story sack course which was fantastic but they could never have gone on for 12 hours:eek:

miffy
31-05-2008, 07:05 PM
You could always suggest that your County Assoc put on this training for you if you attend AGM this year put it forward then cos that is when we start planning for 2009. If I get opportunity and remember I will mention at next meeting (Sept)

Cx

Thank you - I will do that if I remember.

Thought I had read something about a storysack workshop at Rufford?

miffy xx

christine e
31-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Thank you - I will do that if I remember.

Thought I had read something about a storysack workshop at Rufford?

miffy xx

Mmmmm, I think they are nursery rhyme bags - very similar though.

See you at Rufford on 17th

Cx

jaja
31-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Sounds really good, i wish they did things like that around my area. enjoy xxx

Annie_T
01-06-2008, 06:49 PM
my childrens school offered this but due to lack of intrest never took off. because i wanted to do it i went to becky - who was going to run it, she told me it was 12 hours ... over how ever mant weeks ad we make puppets, sack, other props for a story book we want to put in it. i cant think what else she said.. i think it would be worth it but fitting it in with minding or what ever could be tricky