PDA

View Full Version : NEW CHILDMINDER, NEEDS YOUR HELP!

Mgoudie
14-08-2011, 12:01 PM
ok so I'm a newly registered childminder and I am meeting with my first potential parent on weds, little bit scared as I haven't done this before...

I need some tips on what I need to do. I have a good idea of the things that I need to show and ask her but I really want to impress her and her 2 daughters...

I know first impressions are everything so I want to be prepared so I'm not a stuttering idiot when she arrives :panic:

kel1983
14-08-2011, 01:08 PM
One thing I have learnt is to interact with the children. Parents like to see how you are going to be with their children. This is not as easy as it sounds though in my opinion. I make sure I have a selection of toys out that would maybe interest the children. Ask the children what they like to play at home and what their fav toys or games are.

I found the first visit very tough as I dont have my own children and thought this would put parents off. It got easier as I started minding as I arranged visits in minding time and the parents could see how I interacted and cared for those I already minded

Hope this is of some help. Good luck.

jane5
14-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Remember to smile, sometimes when people are nervous they come across as unfriendly. If you are very nervous then tell the parents that and make a joke about it.

I always get nervous but have gelled with all of my parents on the visit and it has been easy to talk to them.
All but 1 who stayed for 1 1/2 hours talking about her self and her ex boyfriend and didnt ask me any questions, and in the end I was a little bit rude to her in order to make her leave :blush:

Mookins
14-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Timeto start blowing your own horn hun,just like job interviews its the only chance you get to really say how fabulousyou are

i always always say how much i enjoy outdoor time...and messy play,letting children be children :) jumping in puddles and how the only time we have the telly on is if its a learning programme( example Mr tumble )

am sure will be just fine hun

xxx

mummyMia
15-08-2011, 08:43 PM
I find some initial chit chat really helps before I dive into the childminding stuff. Just before I open the door I take a second to have a deep breath and make sure that I am smiling. Then I open the door with a flourish, say hello, invite mum inside and ask if she had trouble finding it and if she had far to come, where she lives etc. Then I introduce my children, tell mum their ages and a little bit about them such as "ds is a big boy and starting pre-school in september". I kneel down and introduce myself to the child and make comments about how cute they are. I keep telling myself to smile.

Only then do I start thinking about anything childminding related. I find that this really helps both mum and me get over any initial nerves:)

JennyM
15-08-2011, 08:51 PM
You will be fine. Just try to be yourself and that will help you not to stutter and to be confident about what you are saying.

Make sure you address the child, ask them a question or two and have something fun set up that the child can join in with.

Good luck!

Mgoudie
19-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks everyone, it went pretty well and shes decided to choose me :clapping:

christine e
19-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Well done :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Cx

miffy
19-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone, it went pretty well and shes decided to choose me :clapping:

Well done! That's great news! :clapping: