PDA

View Full Version : Late fees and not accepting child

Mamma4Ya
13-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I am putting my late fees policy together. I am going to charge in advance which need to be cleared by 28th of each month.

How long do you allow before you refuse to accept the child into your setting if you have not received payment?

I dont want to add this to my policy as parents may take advantage of it but I need to know what is the normal time frame before you put your foot down.

I was thinking if payment was still not received by the 1st of the month to refuse to accept the child until I had recieved the cash.

Mouse
13-08-2011, 02:35 PM
It depends how parents pay. If they pay monthly, I have to receive my money by the first minded day of the month. I invoice about the 20th and say payment is due by 1st, but I will allow up until the first minded day(I don't tell them that bit). So, if the 1st was a Saturday, but the child didn't come until the Tuesday, they have up until then to pay it (I may apply late fees after the 1st, but wouldn't refuse care until the Tue). If I hadn't received it by the time they bring the child on the Tues morning I reserve the right to refuse care.

If they pay weekly they have to pay by the first minding day of the week. I get paid the last minded day of the week ready for the following week. So, if the child comes Tue, Wed & Thur, they should pay on the Thur for the following week. If they don't pay then, I will give them until the Tue morning, but may refuse care if they don't bring it with them when they cone to drop off the child. Again, i may apply late fees after the last day of the week.

sarah707
13-08-2011, 05:11 PM
You might want to check with your insurance company (and the contract you are using depending on your insurance company) first.

If you have a 4 week termination period for example then NCMA say you have to work through this before you can stop a contract or you might be sued by the parent for not being available to work.

Hth :D

Mouse
13-08-2011, 06:13 PM
You might want to check with your insurance company (and the contract you are using depending on your insurance company) first.

If you have a 4 week termination period for example then NCMA say you have to work through this before you can stop a contract or you might be sued by the parent for not being available to work.

That's a good point Sarah. I am with MM and they include a bit about suspending care in the contract.

Hebs
13-08-2011, 06:29 PM

i really think this is wrong tho who is to say our income is less important than theirs :angry:

sarah707
13-08-2011, 06:56 PM
i really think this is wrong tho who is to say our income is less important than theirs :angry:

Have you ever taken it up with NCMA and asked why that clause is in the contracts or why that is their legal position?

With MM you either use their contracts (don't know what they say) or use your own.

Of course if you use your own you write your own terms and conditions and can then terminate immediately.

:D

Pipsqueak
13-08-2011, 09:29 PM
When i have queried it with NCMA (old) solicitors....

apparently;
its because the can 'counter sue' the minder for breech of contract.

when i argued this is irrelevant if they have breeched contract first by not paying they stated the above again...... and insinuated that 'would I like to risk it'......

good point to put forward to the local forums....

khlwomitchell
13-08-2011, 10:22 PM
i feel very unprofessional!
I get paid one week in arrears as i recieve cheque on last caring day a week. This is how i used to pay my minder all those years ago and it was very helpful to add hours easily.
How does most people do it? I'd conside movng to bank draft every week but i like the fact its there in my hand.... and i know where they live if it bounces!!! ha ha

Mamma4Ya
14-08-2011, 03:23 PM
When i have queried it with NCMA (old) solicitors....

apparently;
its because the can 'counter sue' the minder for breech of contract.

when i argued this is irrelevant if they have breeched contract first by not paying they stated the above again...... and insinuated that 'would I like to risk it'......

good point to put forward to the local forums....

I agree it should be irrelevant.