PDA

View Full Version : School hols - daily routine

Mrs Pootle
12-08-2011, 08:18 PM
I usually only work during the school term, but to help out one of my parents I've agreed to have her two children for a week over the summer hols. They are aged 5 & 6 and I usually only have them after school. The 5 yr old is still EFYS until 31st Aug.

So my question is, what do you all do in the hols? I was thinking of maybe setting up a craft type activity each day, a visit to the local park (maybe include a picnic) and the rest of the day free play either in the garden or the playroom. Does this sound ok?

It is only for one week, and I will have my own dd's 5yr & 8yr old too. Don't want anything too rigid as it's school hols & want everyone to be very relaxed.

~Grasshopper~
12-08-2011, 09:10 PM
thats all im doing hun but mine are younger, tbh when i try to plan a craft activity they dont want to do it so im letting them do what they want and as the weather has been awful weve been to a few soft play sessions.

x

Goatgirl
12-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Hi :),
Sounds good to me :),

really depends on personalities I find, and dynamics of the group as they get older. Just had a nightmare 2 weeks with a 7 1/2 year old asking 'what are we doing now?/later/ after this/ today/after lunch/in a minute', a bit disheartening only 5 minutes into a planned activity... 'how many hours until I can go home?' was favourite :rolleyes: But today at 3pm I closed the door to smiling waving children and now I have 2 blissful weeks off :jump for joy:

Hopefully yours will amuse each other for the free play time: I'm sure a couple more here her own age would've helped a lot :). I'd have an activity or two up my sleeve and plenty of board games around etc.

Calmest moments were sewing activities, a nature adventure in the little wooded area by the park (looking for dragons), and they made cardboard box dolls houses to use with small world and playmobile people. Library trips were good for breaking up the day as were trips to the park. Made the mistake of allowing tv or a dvd a bit too early in the day and making myself get all tired and lethargic with a couple of hours still to get through. not so good... After that I left it till the end of the day, as reward for a very good tidy up time.

Hope I haven't put you off. Good luck :)

best wishes,
Wendy

p.s. I had different things out each morning to grab their immediate attention, so I could at least get my breath before the tirade began :laughing: and soft play saved me twice this week too :thumbsup:

Mrs Pootle
14-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks for your replies :thumbsup:

funemnx
14-08-2011, 08:13 PM
I've had a mixture of ages 1-9 years. We've been to the local park or our local lake every day 9.30 -11.30 and then home for lunch and baby's naps/freeplay. 1.30- 3.00 a planned craft activity (various glueing,cutting,colouring,cooking) followed by freeplay in the garden and house and a DVD/TV time before hometime.:thumbsup:

miffy
15-08-2011, 06:53 AM
What you're planning sounds fine - if they all get on they will probably amuse themselves.

You could ask them all to name an activity/outing they would like to do and then see if you can do one each day.

Miffy xx