PDA

View Full Version : Do you struggle with outings?

caee88
12-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Hi Everybody

I'm in the very early stages of setting up and was just wondering how you manage when you've got a few children and you want to go to the park or playgroup etc.?

Do you have help with this or just manage on your own?

Thanks

onceinabluemoon
12-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Manage on my own.

I'd never take on more than I could cope with so it's not a problem.

mama2three
12-08-2011, 04:25 PM
There are some days , well some children , where playgroup etc is very demanding. 3 los who all want to do different things - some indoor and some outdoor. On these days I think about other places to go , or getting together with other minders and we all keep an eye open for each other.
i think the key with any outing is that the children know the boundaries. They know what is acceptable and what the consequences are - for example if they run ahead instead of walking with the buggy the wrist strap comes out. Risk assess the places and the children. Youll soon get used to having a group of children out and about and have lots of fun!

Greengrass74
12-08-2011, 04:25 PM
There are 2 of us so it is not to bad however sometimes we can have 12 LO's especially during school holidays.

The key to it all is organisation. If you are organised and in control then you should have no problems, I would say to you only take what you feel confident with.

Penny1959
12-08-2011, 05:21 PM
When you start up it is a good idea not to go out too much while the children settle and get to know you and your routines. Of course you will need to do school runs etc but hopefully children will be in buggies or walking by you.

Then maybe go out somewhere where not too many others - so a small quiet park, or a childminding friend just so you can judge how the children will react.

It can be very upsetting for a child to find itself placed with a childminder and within a few hours (or even days) in a large hall for a toddler session or drop in - especially as it is likely you will not stay in one place and will be meeting the needs of all the children in your care. Naturally some children will cope better than others with changes but even those who outwardly appear to cope will have moments of panic.

As others have said - only take on those children who you feel confident to manage - if needed start with just one and then slowly build the numbers up as you gain more experience and confidence.

In years to come you will wonder why you doubted yourself - but I think it is better to be prepared than to have a nasty shock and realise have taken on too much.

Good luck with it all

Penny :)

breezy
12-08-2011, 06:07 PM
There are some days , well some children , where playgroup etc is very demanding. 3 los who all want to do different things - some indoor and some outdoor. On these days I think about other places to go , or getting together with other minders and we all keep an eye open for each other.
i think the key with any outing is that the children know the boundaries. They know what is acceptable and what the consequences are - for example if they run ahead instead of walking with the buggy the wrist strap comes out. Risk assess the places and the children. Youll soon get used to having a group of children out and about and have lots of fun!

Couldnt agree more!

jane5
12-08-2011, 07:43 PM
I think that once you get to know the child you then feel more confident on outings.
Each time a new child starts with me I am like a mother hen clucking around them because I always worry if they will run off ect.....

My last new one, his mum said he always runs away from her so I put him on a wrist strap (he is a large 3 1/2 year old) but he pulled it off and was trying to run in front so I had to put him in reins :o

4 weeks on and he knows I wont have any messing and he can now be trusted to walk holding the pram and he doesnt let go until I allow him to.
The first couple of weeks I was a nervous wreck but it does get easier :thumbsup:

khlwomitchell
12-08-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm a sucker for punishment, i really like being surrounding by kids and taking them fun places!
best one was the south of england show my friend and i had 7 kids between us, three each our own and a friend of oldest. At a toliet break i had an old man telling me 'well done, your award is in the mail' Always cracks me up when people look on in horror at my little tribe like kids are hard to control!

They can be but they know how to behave!
My advice is pick places they are safe and you can relax otherwise whats the point? you'd be stressed and the kids would feel your negative vibes!

my kids do as they please at the groups and parks but scooting there or walking through town it's like the von trapp family, to order and walking slowly!! (well, it works sometimes;) )