PDA

View Full Version : child development

claire & steve
12-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi
Should i print of the child development stages and place them in the childrens learning journal and hi -light what ages and stages the child has gone through or is that just extra work for myself...thanks:)

sarah707
12-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Instead of highlighting (which means they are a bit like a tick sheet - and Ofsted don't like tick sheets) consider using dates.

With a date for each one achieved you can clearly see children's progression :D

marleymoo
13-08-2011, 08:59 AM
i agree with sarah707

boxtree7
13-08-2011, 11:11 AM
dates, dates and more dates ... i got in trouble with ofsted for using ticks !!

Penny1959
13-08-2011, 11:48 AM
I put a date but also if evidence is obs / wow moment, photo or information from parent.

Anyone can then look at evidence from that date in LJ

I think the from parent is important as sometimes a child choses not to do a particular thing at setting but does it at home - for example at setting may prefer to play with another mindee and not want to do say - puzzles but at home enjoys doing puzzles with parent.

Of course sooner or later will most likely see child do the thing in setting - but using from parent comment can fill in'the gaps' sooner.

Penny :)

marleymoo
13-08-2011, 02:59 PM
if you can get the parent to work on it with you then that's even better:clapping:

Cassie
13-08-2011, 03:53 PM
I just wanted to ask "Is this cross-referencing"something that is required of us? Do Ofsted like to see this or do you all choose to do in order to aim for outstanding?"
I thought i had paperwork all worked out until i joined the forum...but you all seem to be doing more & more! It's giving me sleepless nights...Arrghhhhh

marleymoo
13-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I just wanted to ask "Is this cross-referencing"something that is required of us? Do Ofsted like to see this or do you all choose to do in order to aim for outstanding?"
I thought i had paperwork all worked out until i joined the forum...but you all seem to be doing more & more! It's giving me sleepless nights...Arrghhhhh

don't worry shazapod, you can make it as simple or as complicated as you like. i do mine simple and i've had 2 consecutive outstandings. don't forget, the parents need to understand it too. i take my lead from the comments boxes i ask parents to fill in after they have had the journals at home each month. i'm doing it in a way that they can relate to and in a way that makes it easy for them to feel confident enough to add stuff too. if it looks too technical (or schoolified) it scares the pants off them.
if anything sounds too complicated to you, don't try it, it won't work. it will make the task seem far more daunting than it really is. i think of the journals as scrap books, that we love filling in together. we find it fun - not work.