PDA

View Full Version : Pools in the garden

Jinx
07-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Now that summer is here,well for today anyway, I've been wondering whether any of you will be putting up a pool in the garden this year?

For the past 2 years we've had one of those quick set 10ft pools in the garden, but I am wondering if it would be allowed with mindees about?

I know the parents of my mindees wouldn't have a problem and I can throw together a quick permission form/policy for it, which I'm sure they will all sign. (can write a policy in my sleep now, thanks to this forum!!!!)

My kids had so much fun in the pool the last 2 years and I know they'd be devastated if it can't go up again this year.
It has a ladder, which will be moved when not in use, and a cover. My mindees are all under 2 and are never unsupervised in the garden!

What does everyone think.

Jinx x

berkschick
07-05-2008, 11:51 AM
We have the same pool but Im afraid to say I will not be putting it up this year.

Most of my mindees are under 2 and are constantly watched in the garden but it only takes that split second that the phone rings or you are seeing to a mindee who has fallen etc.

If our garden was big enough to section a bit off for the pool then I would consider it.

I know a minder who got marked unsatisfactory for keeping children safe due to having hers up.

crazybones
07-05-2008, 12:30 PM
I had to take the older ones climbing frame down last year after I caught my os (18 months at the time) on the platform part trying to come down the slide with mindee of same age about to try and follow. So no way would I have a pool up. They are just too fast and although they are supervised there are times when they could get in eg one falls over you go to pick them up and your back is turned. I have huge issues with children around water as 20 years ago on my first day of my first holiday abroad I pulled a 6 year old out of the pool - drowned on the bottom - ok parents were in the bar watching from the balcony and didnt even put drinks down when they ran down to see what was happening. It has stayed with me since then and I still wake in the night and see her as we pulled her up and her eyes rolled back in her head. Sorry but even 3 inches in the paddling pool is enough to put me on mega high alert.

sarah707
07-05-2008, 12:46 PM
I had to take my climbing frame down a couple of years ago because, despite it being fine and great fun for 12 years for my children and lots of guests, it was suddenly deemed an unsafe height unless I went to great lengths to turn my garden into a municipal park! :(

For that reason, I will not have anything even slightly dangerous in the garden...

The pool goes up on Saturday morning and back down on Sunday evening :D

Jinx
07-05-2008, 12:53 PM
The pool goes up on Saturday morning and back down on Sunday evening :D

Oh good grief, this one takes at least 2 hours to fill, then 12 hours to sort the chemicals and another 3/4 hours to empty, (unless you flood ours and the neighbours gardens!)

I think I will see if hubby is willing to fence off some of our garden for the pool! :panic: Highly unlikely, but worth a try.:rolleyes:

Jinx x

deeb66
07-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I know what you mean about the hassle as I have a 12 foot one but it is worth the hassle that I have every year.

Mine is also heated so there is no way I am willing to empty all the water out as it costs a fortune to heat and I am also on a water meter so costs a lot to fill it up also.

I have a cover that is tied on and to be honest it is like the Krypton Factor (if anyone can remember that show!) to get it off......even I struggle.

I also have the pool sectioned off in the garden so that mindee's cannot access it.

Well worth the effort as we have so much fun in there!.

Obviously the minded children do not go in there unless I am in and they have to get out as soon as I do!

mum22
07-05-2008, 01:03 PM
I dont have room to have a pool as well as the other stuff we have but if i did have one i would only be happy if it were fenced off.

but if you have one - i do envy you.

x helen

Jinx
07-05-2008, 01:07 PM
I have a cover that is tied on and to be honest it is like the Krypton Factor (if anyone can remember that show!)

I remember it, used to love watching, but could never answer the questions!

Jinx x

deeb66
07-05-2008, 01:10 PM
I remember it, used to love watching, but could never answer the questions!

Jinx x

Do you remember the round that was called mental agility.....where they had to sort this horrendous puzzle out.

Well that's what my pool cover is like :laughing:

disney
07-05-2008, 04:40 PM
i dont do pools sorry the only water we have is a water table and some times for the little ones i have a bowl with some water in to splash with but all are under supervision . think mine get just as much fun with water toys in the water table and bathing my dog of course :D x

caza
07-05-2008, 06:23 PM
So is the use of paddling pools completely frowned upon by Ofsted or can you have one if you wish to? Not that I'm planning to use one just thought I would ask the question :D

Caroline

Chimps Childminding
07-05-2008, 06:27 PM
My own 4 boys would love a pool (i feel really guilty saying no every year), but I would worry too much about the lo's. Like someone else said you only need to be distracted for a second and even little ones can be very good at climbing when they want something (especially if its something they shouldn't have). We have a small pool for the week-ends, but use a sprinkler when the lo's are here!

deeb66
07-05-2008, 08:32 PM
I can understand what you are saying Carolyn and those thoughts went through my head.

BUT....in many ways my son (and family unit) have to give up so much already because I am a childminder......yes I know there are benefits of minding too.

That is why I sat and worked out a way that it could be safe for everyone.......if I couldn't have made it safe then I also wouldn't have it up when the minded children are around.

berkschick
07-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Yours is sectioned off too Dee so the LOs can not get to it.

I would have no problem in having mine up if I could do this too but our garden isnt big enough.

I am secretly pleased! I got fed up of picking up wet towels, having wet foot prints all over the conservatory, having half the neighbourhoods kids in it ( and supplying them with drinks, ice lollies etc) and Looking after the pool cause everyone else forgot too!

I have finally found the benefit to being a CM :D

mrsb
07-05-2008, 09:11 PM
We have a paddling pool up every year, it has also been up when ofsted have "popped round" and they were fine about it, it is only a kiddies blow up small one though, not deep etc.

I think Ofsted would say along the lines that IF the child managed to get up on it while the cover was on, could they walk on it and the cover stay on, if the answer is yes then that's fine, if the answer is that the cover would collapse then it's a big no no :(

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Dee I can just imagine you this year - the new slim you sunbathing in your pool - I want one now haha and a slimmer me !!!

Angel xx

deeb66
08-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Dee I can just imagine you this year - the new slim you sunbathing in your pool - I want one now haha and a slimmer me !!!

Angel xx

Yeah......hopefully this year when I jump in the water won't jump out :laughing:

Have got to get a new swimming costume!...........old one does me no favours what so ever :D

Pipsqueak
08-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Looks like its all round to Dees then!:D

Chimps Childminding
08-05-2008, 02:17 PM
BUT....in many ways my son (and family unit) have to give up so much already because I am a childminder......yes I know there are benefits of minding too.

I feel really bad sometimes Dee, my boys do have to go without quite a lot because of my job. Yes its good that i am a home for them, but on the other hand when I am busy in the holidays and can't take them out and about they do make me feel awful - still i keep reminding them they don't have to get up and go to a grumpy old childminder at 7.30 in the morning like some of the children i look after do!! :laughing:

deeb66
08-05-2008, 04:19 PM

I feel really bad sometimes Dee, my boys do have to go without quite a lot because of my job. Yes its good that i am a home for them, but on the other hand when I am busy in the holidays and can't take them out and about they do make me feel awful - still i keep reminding them they don't have to get up and go to a grumpy old childminder at 7.30 in the morning like some of the children i look after do!! :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

It's funny you should say that as I have said the same things to my son many times over the years!

And....I also remind him that it is my childminding that gives us the extra things like a holiday abroad most years.

Back to the pool - I think I am lucky that I can section mine off which allows me the compromise but if I couldn't then we would be without the pool as well :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
08-05-2008, 04:28 PM
My kids love playing on our waterslide. Just using a small baby slide, long piece of strong plastic and a water sprinkler...lots of fun to be had.
Or would OFSTED frown at that as well?

Wendy Woo
08-05-2008, 05:29 PM
I will be sticking to a paddleing pool. It has an attatchment for a hose so you can squirt water out of a flower!!!! I think they will like it. Its nice to ahve a little somethin i think. helps cool em down

crazybones
08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I will be sticking to a paddleing pool. It has an attatchment for a hose so you can squirt water out of a flower!!!! I think they will like it. Its nice to ahve a little somethin i think. helps cool em down

Definitely agree with cooling them down. Gave mine the hosepipe treatment yesterday. Did I mention before, that according to the Met Office, Crosby was the hottest place in the UK yesterday. :laughing:

MissTinkerbell
10-05-2008, 10:39 AM
I have a small ELC paddling pool which has a sunshade over the top and is about a metre, maybe less in diameter. I was intending to get this out - its quick to fill and can be emptied in second should the need arise. Would this be OK?

Jinx
10-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I've had in idea!!! Doesn't happen very often so it's probably not going to work!!
Thinking about getting one of these and putting it over/around the pool and fastening it down, tight. It might work. :rolleyes: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6501455/Trail/searchtext%3EGAZEBO.htm
I'll be very posh then and have an indoor pool....:laughing: :laughing:

Jinx x

miffy
10-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Think it would be easier (and cheaper) not to put the pool up - hubby didn't fancy fencing off part of the garden then?

miffy xx

breezy
10-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Could we not just hire the most gorgeous lifeguard? :laughing:

miffy
10-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Could we not just hire the most gorgeous lifeguard? :laughing:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miffy xx