PDA

View Full Version : behaviour policy

jadavi
11-08-2011, 08:51 PM
If you can be bothered would you kindly read thru my policy on behaviour and give me your honest thoughts espec. if you have an idea of how Ofsted is likely to react. (we were advised to have this ready for our registration visit)

I'm aware my attitude to behaviour is rather liberal and certainly different to a lot of policies I have read (No means NO etc)
My attitude is based on my 25 years of home education and working with children and I know it works but I want to check I am expressing it right...maybe it reads as pie in the sky... I need to word it so Ofsted will be happy with it as I want to be a child minder!

Sorry its so long and thanks in advance.

Managing Behaviour Policy
Promoting positive behavior and boosting self esteem is very important and I do this mainly by listening and fully engaging with your child and observing body language carefully: I try to:
• Give lots of positive signals for sociable behaviour.
• Give the children individual attention so they feel valued but knowing when to give them space too.
• Set a good example, being a good role model
• Listen to what the children have to say and discussing difficult situations they are struggling with.
• Generally I do not use stickers and behaviour charts etc but if we have a problem of persistent poor behavior then I would consider this system. I prefer to use discussion to help the child understand and appreciate the consequences of his behavior and choose to change because he wants to behave better rather than because he wants a sticker.
I help the children understand my main house rules which are variations of ‘we like to be nice to each other in my house and show respect for each others feelings’ I am consistent in carrying this forward. I do not raise my voice, unless the child is in some danger and certainly never use any kind of physical discipline except withdrawing the child for a chat and a break.
I am aware of the different reasons why children misbehave and will endeavour to keep to routines so that your child feels safe and is not over tired or hungry and feels able to tell me what is wrong.
However all children will exhibit anti social behavior at some time for a variety of reasons and it is my job to understand why this is. After 25 years experience with young people I have come to recognize it could be from hunger, pain, illness, fatigue, boredom, home sickness, jealousy, frustration or fury over an existing problem outside my setting. I never see it as the child’s fault but rather try to understand where it came from and move to find a win / win solution and use conflict resolution principles. (This involves allowing the child to give ‘their side’ and repeating it back to them, doing the same with the other person and then asking: ‘What can we do to make this better? ’) Obviously a lot of the children in my care will be too young to reason with or not even be speaking. In these cases I will use loving restraint when the behaviour is antisocial or hurtful to others. I will try to remove the cause of the behaviour ( ie a toy that 2 childen are fighting over) and will try to divert by using jokes and humour or a change of situation.
Where we are having persistent antisocial behaviour, I will discuss it with the parents/carers and try to together come up with a consistent approach. I will also respectfully discuss with your child why he is acting up and what we can do to improve things as he will be feeling bad and unhappy too.
If a child exhibits this behaviour and it becomes a problem I will let you know by either writing it in their contact book or by ringing you later after collection and together we can mull it over. If my approach is very different from your, I will do my best to accommodate your requests re discipline.
Often anti social behaviour can be just a transition phase in his development and actually signals a step forward and should not be feared. Change is healthy and so is expressing your feelings!

khlwomitchell
11-08-2011, 08:59 PM
you have gone beyond what you need i'd say, if you like you could take away some of it but it's great.
The phrase 'physical dicipline except withdrawing a child...' made me think removed by an ear but i think it's just the phrasing you used!
I have similar policy but i just put i won't use physical intervention unless danger to child or person close by, where as you were very precise.

My thoughts when i did my policy was if i do it i am telling them, so i will act according to my policy, not tried to change my way of discplining to sound good.
Ofted hate the name and process 'naughty step' but fine with 'time out' not that you mentioned it just as a FYI.
If you do a simple bullet point rules of house too for kids and parents to stick on wall, that helps x
Good luck

jadavi
11-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks! What did you mean removed by an ear?
Cheers, good advice, maybe I need to tone down.

khlwomitchell
11-08-2011, 09:11 PM
you know the old fashioned Just William style grabbed by the ear and marched home!!
Not saying you do that though!!!!!!
I'm only a 'good' though so maybe your policy is the big 'o' material?

jadavi
11-08-2011, 09:33 PM
haha I see what you mean!

The big O now there's a fantasy!

sarah707
12-08-2011, 06:05 AM
I always recommend a behaviour policy gives the childminder the right to immediately exclude a child from their provision if the child's behaviour endangers others or for gross misconduct such as stealing.

If you do not have this in your policy and you welcome a child to your house who, for example, constantly hurts your child or steals your property or smokes or brings drugs etc then you will have to work out your notice period as stated on your contract - you will not have insurance company backing to say 'sorry, don't bring your child tomorrow'.

Hth :D

jadavi
12-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks Sarah, very good point, will adjust asap!

JCrakers
12-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Very good...mine just says 'behave yourselves'

Sorry Im in a strange mood today :laughing:

Heres mine
All children are treated equally and are made to feel welcome in my home. I recognise the need to set out reasonable and appropriate limits to help manage the behaviour of children in my care. All behaviour will be talked through with parents giving the parents the chance to add their views and ideas.
By providing a happy, well-maintained environment, the children in my care will be encouraged to develop social skills to help them be accepted and welcome in society as they grow up.
I do not, and will not, administer physical punishment or any form of punishment with the intention of causing pain or discomfort, nor any kind of humiliating or hurtful treatment to any child in my care.
I endorse positive discipline as a more effective way of setting limits for children.

I will only physically intervene, and possibly restrain a child to prevent an accident, such as a child running into the road, or to prevent an injury or damage.
All significant incidents are recorded and will be shared and discussed with the parents of the child concerned so that together we can work to resolve any behavioural issues.

jadavi
12-08-2011, 09:29 AM
I Like that, Bex, short and to the point. Maybe I gave way too much info! sigh...back to the drawing board.

Thank you for sharing. really helpful

khlwomitchell
12-08-2011, 07:47 PM
not back to drawing board!
do it but then review it and reissue. I know that sounds a funny thing to do but if all your policies and risk ass are created and dated same date thay won't show your learning and adjusting accordingly.
Just got my inspection report and she had spotted the three out of my twenty or so policies had been reviewed and she had written it in the report. showed progression, self evaluation and ongoing reviews

jadavi
12-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks.I'll dp that. I was going to just delete the last one.
cheers